Deskpro Small Form Factor & USB Keyboard

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,

It spits out a 'keyboard error, press F1 to boot' if I boot without a
keyboard plugged into the keyboard PS2 port.

It doesn't seem to recognise the USB keyboard that is attached, so I plug a
board back into the PS2 and press F1 and it boots up as normal.

Is there a way to get it to recognise the USB keyboard at this level (ie:
before windows had loaded) or a way to get it to ignore such an error.

Thanks,

Joe

hh

No enabling USB option in F10 setup?
HH

"Richard" <o@o.com> wrote in

> Hi,
>
> It spits out a 'keyboard error, press F1 to boot' if I boot
> without a keyboard plugged into the keyboard PS2 port.
>
> It doesn't seem to recognise the USB keyboard that is attached,
> so I plug a board back into the PS2 and press F1 and it boots up
> as normal.
>
> Is there a way to get it to recognise the USB keyboard at this
> level (ie: before windows had loaded) or a way to get it to
> ignore such an error.

Suggest you check your BIOS setup, looking for:
- USB ports enable/disable
- USB keyboard enable/disable
- boot error ignore settings

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Frank le Spikkin" <zaq@invalid.jp> wrote in message
> "Richard" <o@o.com> wrote in
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > It spits out a 'keyboard error, press F1 to boot' if I boot
> > without a keyboard plugged into the keyboard PS2 port.
> >
> > It doesn't seem to recognise the USB keyboard that is attached,
> > so I plug a board back into the PS2 and press F1 and it boots up
> > as normal.
> >
> > Is there a way to get it to recognise the USB keyboard at this
> > level (ie: before windows had loaded) or a way to get it to
> > ignore such an error.
> >
> Suggest you check your BIOS setup, looking for:
> - USB ports enable/disable
> - USB keyboard enable/disable
> - boot error ignore settings

Thanks for the replies, Frank and HH.

There is no obvious BIOS USB setting, in fact USB isn't even mentioned in
any page.

No boot error ignore either.

Maybe it's cos it's an old archaic architecture or something, PIII 450.

Unless....there's another name for USB, like it is listed as a serial port
or soemthing, but that page has devices listed in Hexadecimal codes instead
of saying what they are.

Ho hum.

If anyone has any more thoughts, I will be here to try em out!

Richard

Older Pentium III class computers, even as old as 450MHz have decent (USB 1.1)
support for USB keyboards built-in. Almost every motherboard I've touched from
that era (I am currently working with HP small form factor VLi8 P3 boxes) has a
BIOS setup option to enable/disable USB. It would be a big surprise if the
DeskPro SFF lacked USB keyboard support entirely, but name brand manufacturers
often do really stupid things in an effort to control costs.

Can you get into the system BIOS setup, usually the F10 key on Compaq DeskPro
boxes? If not, there is often a good explanation. Unlike many other name-brand
and generic computers, many Compaq DeskPros need to have a diagnostic partition
filled with software, and the BIOS setup is actually software run from the
diagnostic partition. Stupid, stupid, stupid, but that's the way Compaq did it
back then. This is no better than the IBM's follies with MIcroChannel in the
late '80s, or the response of the rest of the industry (including Compaq) with
the EISA setup follies.

So if your system does not respond to F10 with setup menus, you need to download
the diagnostic/setup software for your system, remove all partitions from the
hard drive, then load up the diagnostic partition. Do the necessary setup, then
load up the operating system.

You might also clear the motherboard CMOS (a jumper or switch on the
motherboard) to see if that improves the situation and/or allows you to get into
the BIOS setup... Ben Myers

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:31:52 +0100, "Richard" <o@o.com> wrote:

>"Frank le Spikkin" <zaq@invalid.jp> wrote in message
>> "Richard" <o@o.com> wrote in
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > It spits out a 'keyboard error, press F1 to boot' if I boot
>> > without a keyboard plugged into the keyboard PS2 port.
>> >
>> > It doesn't seem to recognise the USB keyboard that is attached,
>> > so I plug a board back into the PS2 and press F1 and it boots up
>> > as normal.
>> >
>> > Is there a way to get it to recognise the USB keyboard at this
>> > level (ie: before windows had loaded) or a way to get it to
>> > ignore such an error.
>> >
>> Suggest you check your BIOS setup, looking for:
>> - USB ports enable/disable
>> - USB keyboard enable/disable
>> - boot error ignore settings
>>

>Thanks for the replies, Frank and HH.
>
>There is no obvious BIOS USB setting, in fact USB isn't even mentioned in
>any page.
>
>No boot error ignore either.
>
>Maybe it's cos it's an old archaic architecture or something, PIII 450.
>
>Unless....there's another name for USB, like it is listed as a serial port
>or soemthing, but that page has devices listed in Hexadecimal codes instead
>of saying what they are.
>
>Ho hum.
>
>If anyone has any more thoughts, I will be here to try em out!
>
>Richard

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> Older Pentium III class computers, even as old as 450MHz have decent (USB
1.1)
> support for USB keyboards built-in. Almost every motherboard I've touched
from
> that era (I am currently working with HP small form factor VLi8 P3 boxes)
has a
> BIOS setup option to enable/disable USB. It would be a big surprise if
the
> DeskPro SFF lacked USB keyboard support entirely, but name brand
manufacturers
> often do really stupid things in an effort to control costs.
>
> Can you get into the system BIOS setup, usually the F10 key on Compaq
DeskPro
> boxes? If not, there is often a good explanation. Unlike many other
name-brand
> and generic computers, many Compaq DeskPros need to have a diagnostic
partition
> filled with software, and the BIOS setup is actually software run from the
> diagnostic partition. Stupid, stupid, stupid, but that's the way Compaq
did it
> back then. This is no better than the IBM's follies with MIcroChannel in
the
> late '80s, or the response of the rest of the industry (including Compaq)
with
> the EISA setup follies.
>
> So if your system does not respond to F10 with setup menus, you need to
download
> the diagnostic/setup software for your system, remove all partitions from
the
> hard drive, then load up the diagnostic partition. Do the necessary
setup, then
> load up the operating system.
>
> You might also clear the motherboard CMOS (a jumper or switch on the
> motherboard) to see if that improves the situation and/or allows you to
get into
> the BIOS setup... Ben Myers

Thanks for that Ben, I can get into the BIOS with F10, and there is no
mention of USB at all. I did remove the existing partition before
reformatting and loading XP (runs a treat :)

It would truly appear to not support a USB keyboard at the BIOS level.

Weird, but then again a simpole workaround - I got a £5 keyboard and have it
shoved down the back just to keep it happy on reboots!

Thanks,

Richard