Question Desktop and Server grade RAM

Jan 8, 2020
I've noticed that "server grade" RAM is ALOT cheaper than regular RAM. My question is, what is stopping me from putting server grade RAM into my gaming RIG? How would performance be effected, and what makes the two types different?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
You would have to make sure this server grade memory that is cheaper is the same DDR generation that your motherboard supports.

You need to also check that uses the same amount of contact pins and is the same layout so that it'll go into your ram slots.

And lastly, if it's ECC memory, you need to double and triple check that your motherboard and CPU can even support running ECC memory

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020
What CPU/motherboard do you have?

Can you link to this cheap "server grade" RAM?

My CPU is an Intel i5 4670
My motherboard doesn't have a name, its made by Dell, heres the product number. 0PC5F7. Im sure you can find something out if you search that up on the web. It was made in 2013

My motherboard takes DDR3 240 pin RAM

Heres a link to the RAM: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kingston-1...881346&hash=item341d927c71:g:144AAOSwDGNdxLYw

Although its pretty slow RAM, 16 GB for 20$ seems like a steal, so what's stopping me from buying this stuff and putting it into my system?

EDIT: I checked the specs out and ECC memory is not supported

Last edited: