Desktop clock changes on the hour

Velti

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
For over a month now I've been having issues with my dekstop clock. Yes, I'm in the right timezone. Yes, I went into my UEFI and THAT time was correct, it's just my desktop clock, and it's messing up a lot of other things. I'll go to sync it with the web and it'll be fine for an hour or so before reverting back to whatever time, usually whatever it was when I first started up.

I thought maybe I needed to replace the CMOS battery, but it turns out my MOBO DOESN'T HAVE ONE, so that was a treat to discover. I'm not sure what else I can try or what might be wrong.

Build, had it for about 2 or 3 years now. I'm wondering if I shorted something last time I dusted. :(

CPU: i5-2500k
RAM: Crucial 8GB Ballistic 1600 (2x4GB)
HDD: Barracuda 500 GB SATA
MOBO: ASROCK Z77 Pro3 1155 ATX Intel
GPU: XFX HD-685X-ZCFC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16
PSU: CORSAIR Builder Series 500W

Thanks in advance, you guys are the best... sigh.

asrock-z77-pro3-layout-5.jpg

You do have a battery, at least you should but if the time in the BIOS is correct then it is something else. Which clock do you have your system syncing to?

Velti

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012

It... it does?? But I didn't see it in there, or on the diagram... maybe I just missed it?! (I just looked at the diagram in my manual again, and clearly I'm blind. It must be hidden by the graphics card or something...good grief.)

Right now I have it syncing with an internet server- "time-a.nist.gov." Is there a way to make sure it syncs with, well, my internal clock?

Velti

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
I'm referring to the time displayed in the system tray. I set it to "time.windows.com" this morning, and when I came back around 2:30 and started things up it said 2:07. Which is... kind of an improvement, but still wrong.

I appreciate the QnA, I really want to get this solved...

Velti

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
Haven't tried changing the MOBO battery yet, but for the record, just came back to my computer after its been running most of the day. Some nieces/nephew were playing minecraft for a bit. (They never do anything untoward to the computer.) Aaand right now the clock says 2:32p.

I'd also like to reiterate that when I go into UEFI, the clock is correct. I'm curious as to why changing the battery would help this? (Not that I won't try it!)