Question Desktop computer/monitor compatibility

Mar 22, 2019
I purchased a Lenovo T530 with Intel I7 processor and NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Graphics and an LG 27UK600-W AMD free sync 4K monitor. Is this monitor compatible with this desktop? I am not a gamer. I am new to the forum. Thanks.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The monitor doesn't have to be "compatible" with your desktop as you put it.
As long as the monitor has the relevant input for the relevant output on your desktop, you'll get an image (I.e. HDMI output on desktop, to HDMI input in monitor).
But the 1050Ti is an entry level GPU, so it's not exactly well suited for 4K.

Mar 22, 2019
The monitor doesn't have to be "compatible" with your desktop as you put it.
As long as the monitor has the relevant input for the relevant output on your desktop, you'll get an image (I.e. HDMI output on desktop, to HDMI input in monitor).
But the 1050Ti is an entry level GPU, so it's not exactly well suited for 4K.
Sounds like a lower resolution monitor would be a better fit. Had not thought of that.
The compatibility issue I was concerned about was a G Sync GPU with an AMD free sync monitor. Picture tearing.

Thanks for your response.

A 1050 Ti should be fine for a 4K monitor, provided you are not using it to run modern games at that resolution, for which its 3D performance would be inadequate. For things like general desktop use and video playback it should be plenty though.

The compatibility issue I was concerned about was a G Sync GPU with an AMD free sync monitor. Picture tearing.
Again, that tends to come down more to gaming. And actually, Nvidia recently started supporting adaptive sync on most FreeSync monitors over a DisplayPort connection. With the latest drivers installed, you should typically be able to enable "G-Sync" from within the Nvidia control panel, provided your screen supports FreeSync over DisplayPort.

Mar 22, 2019
A 1050 Ti should be fine for a 4K monitor, provided you are not using it to run modern games at that resolution, for which its 3D performance would be inadequate. For things like general desktop use and video playback it should be plenty though.

Again, that tends to come down more to gaming. And actually, Nvidia recently started supporting adaptive sync on most FreeSync monitors over a DisplayPort connection. With the latest drivers installed, you should typically be able to enable "G-Sync" from within the Nvidia control panel, provided your screen supports FreeSync over DisplayPort.
I not into gaming, so great my GPU is fine for this screen. I'll check with LG on the FreeSync support over the DP. Thanks for your help.

Mar 22, 2019

Mar 22, 2019
cryo,

I was ready to take this monitor back before I got your input. I am very glad I kept it. This display does support free sync over the DP. Even found a YouTube video that tested my monitor and the 1050 GPU. They acheived partial compatability with adaptive sync.
""Update 01/15/2019: We have retested the 27UK650 with NVIDIA's new FreeSync drivers. The 'Extended' mode did not work properly, and was still tearing constantly. The 'Basic' mode works perfectly though, and is tear-free up to around 60 Hz.""
YouTube 4K videos are awesome on this display.

Thanks again.

Mar 22, 2019

cryo,

I was ready to take this monitor back before I got your input. I am very glad I kept it. This display does support free sync over the DP. Even found a YouTube video that tested my monitor and the 1050 GPU. They acheived partial compatability with adaptive sync.
""Update 01/15/2019: We have retested the 27UK650 with NVIDIA's new FreeSync drivers. The 'Extended' mode did not work properly, and was still tearing constantly. The 'Basic' mode works perfectly though, and is tear-free up to around 60 Hz.""
YouTube 4K videos are awesome on this display.

Thanks again.