desktop computer spontaneously starts itself & wakes self

ram1009

Distinguished
This is a W7 computer I built many years ago and has served me well. Lately, it has daily begun waking itself from being put to sleep and has now begun to spontaneously cold start. I'm thinking malware but Malwarebytes says it's clean as does Microsoft Essentials. I hope someone has seen this before. ASUS MB if that matters.

Solution
Check windows power settings for wake timers. If it's set to wake on lan or mouse or keyboard it'll turn itself on when it receives that input. Can be as little as an animal walking past the mouse and vibrating the mouse or a sticky key on keyboard or even a bad cable leaking voltage.

ethanmarti1598

Upstanding
Apr 5, 2018
I have an old ASUS mobo as well. I found that having a PS/2 keyboard connected could cause it to turn on by itself at random times. Maybe some of the keys made contact or something, no idea. Do you have a PS/2 keyboard connected to that mobo?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Check windows power settings for wake timers. If it's set to wake on lan or mouse or keyboard it'll turn itself on when it receives that input. Can be as little as an animal walking past the mouse and vibrating the mouse or a sticky key on keyboard or even a bad cable leaking voltage.

Solution