Question Desktop Computer to buy for my parents?

Errend

Prominent
Apr 3, 2021
My parents' computer, which they've had for 10 years, has just crapped out.

I'm helping buy them a new one and all they need it for is checking email, web surfing, watching youtube, and occasionally typing up word documents. They've asked me to prioritize a lower cost over "bells and whistles." I'm the one who bought them that computer 10 years ago and I think I got it on sale for around $150-$200.

Is that a reasonable price range for a low end desktop computer nowadays? I've seen some "Renewed" computers on Amazon in the $150-$250, is that a bad idea? What would you say is a reasonable price range for a low end computer for people who don't need much out of it?

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
What are the specs of the old machine, or model number?
Do you know what is wrong with it?

Web browsing and email checking can readily be performed on a Dell or HP office refurb. The issue there is loss of support for W10 in a couple of years, then you might have to consider replacement or alternative OS install.

Might be worth considering something like a laptop from the Dell Outlet that is new enough to support W11, or even a refurb from Newegg, etc.
In this case I would recommend something 8th gen or newer Intel and 2xxx or newer AMD. Stick with "Core" or "Ryzen" CPU.

Errend

Prominent
Apr 3, 2021
What are the specs of the old machine, or model number?
Do you know what is wrong with it?

It's a Dell, though I'm not sure of the model number or much else (I'm not over there and they get overwhelmed when asked anything beyond "where's the keyboard"). The power switch has started flashing orange; Dell tech support asked me to hold down the power button for awhile, and when that did nothing said it's beyond them and to take it to a tech. I'm guessing it's a capacitor problem or something internal, though at 10 years it seems like a good time to move on and not spend money on a repair (though I wish I could back it up in some way, the last time I backed it up for them was probably a year ago).

Errend

Prominent
Apr 3, 2021
Assuming USA, something $3-400 from BestBuy.

Don't buy some 'off brand" renewed' thing from Amazon or elsewhere.

Get something from a real company, with a real warranty.

The Renewed Desktops I was looking at on Amazon are HP and Dell, mainline computers, though I don't know much about a renewed computer or what it comes with. Do renewed computers not have a normal warranty? I've purchased normal computers from Amazon before and not had problems with the warranty, but those weren't renewed.

Newegg has low end computers at about $350 right now, $100-200 higher, but I'm not sure what exactly I'm giving up by getting a renewed Dell/HP at that lower price.

(Edit: Derp, those are refurbished. Though again, mainline companies like Dell and HP)