Desktop Computer usually restarts in intensive games after playing for a few minutes.

normantech

Reputable
Dec 31, 2014
Hi everyone, I've suffered unexpected restarts when playing an intensive game or playing a game for a long duration of time. Not only this, but the computer has sometimes restarted when I've just been doing general tasks, web browsing or on Skype, however this is less common.

I have recently installed the closed loop Corsair H50 onto my CPU and it seems to work fine. When monitoring temperatures there are no abnormalities and temperatures stay nice and cool.

System Specifications:

• ASUS M5A78L-M/USB-3 Motherboard
    AMD FX 8350 @ 4.0GHz
    EVGA GTX 770
    Corsair HX750
    WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
    8gb Ripjaws RAM @ 1866Mhz
    Corsair H50 Water Cooling closed loop for CPU
    Cooler Master HAF 912 Case

Can I also mention that before I installed the H50 water cooling, the computer did sometimes restart beforehand but not as regularly.

Pictures:

HW Monitor 1: http://gyazo.com/e331052b6feb5a566ccdb872680e0625
HW Monitor 2: http://gyazo.com/9bed5cbbe4ecaf81e939ba613b7f0ad1

Solution
Looking at the pictures, the voltages seem a bit off. With that said, it's either the PSU or the motherboard as the suspects that pop in my head.

Your PSU is one of the quality one's that COrsair actually makes, which leaves that out the question, for the most part.

Looking at your motherboard, I think that's the problem. The motherboard is old and outdated, try a bios update and see if that helps. If not, I suggest getting a new one. I doubt that motherboard is made to support the fx 83xx cpus... Someone could correct me if I'm wrong about my assumption.
Looking at the pictures, the voltages seem a bit off. With that said, it's either the PSU or the motherboard as the suspects that pop in my head.

Your PSU is one of the quality one's that COrsair actually makes, which leaves that out the question, for the most part.

Looking at your motherboard, I think that's the problem. The motherboard is old and outdated, try a bios update and see if that helps. If not, I suggest getting a new one. I doubt that motherboard is made to support the fx 83xx cpus... Someone could correct me if I'm wrong about my assumption.

Solution

normantech

Reputable
Dec 31, 2014

I'd agree with you on the PSU, it's excellent quality and I expected that due to its price when I bought it. As for the motherboard, it is quite old however it is the right socket for my AMD FX 8350 and used to run absolutely fine up until now.

To begin, I'll do a bios update and let you know my progress after that.

Thanks for the support!

Jak_Sparra

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
Check the CPU and graphics card fans and fins for dust build up. I know on one of my builds my PC would freeze and crash but only playing Neverwinter Nights 2. I eventually took the plastic shroud off the 7800GTX and MY GOD! The thing was caked in a solid thick carpet of dust (I used to smoke and not vacuum much). I used cotton buds and tissue and a toothbrush to get most the dust out, then use dan old airbrush compressor unit to blow the rest of the dust out. Never crashed again after that and could play NWN2 for several hours at a time.

normantech

Reputable
Dec 31, 2014

Ah okay, so you're saying it could be a graphics card issue. How would I take the plastic off?

Jak_Sparra

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006

Well just take it out 1st and have a look to see if there is any dust build up. You should see it easily.

normantech

Reputable
Dec 31, 2014

Gave everything a clean inside, the issue still occurs. I can play Battlefield 4 on ultra for approximately 5 minutes before a restart, on the other hand, I can play League of Legends for hours on end.

neocaleric

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016
Im having a very similar issue. Tried 2 different GPUs (GTX970 and GTX1080). Also 2 PSUs. About to test RAM and CPU but im worried about this. Parts are all high end and everything is clean. Restarts with Ultra quality benchmarks and heavy games with Ultra settings. Did you find out what was causing the issue and how to solve it? My setup and current temps.

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz 38 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 1199MHz (11-13-13-31)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. MAXIMUS VII HERO (SOCKET 1150) 28 °C
Graphics
W2043 (1600x900@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (EVGA) 45 °C
Storage
465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (SSD) 35 °C
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 35 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio