Desktop connection to laptop wifi

anceintsz

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
Hello recently I bought a new computer and I didn't buy a network card for it yet to be installed, but instead I connected an ethernet cable to my laptop and pulled internet connection thru the laptop and everything has been working fine.

Recently though everytime I try to connect to google for any other type of website it says the server ip address couldn't be found.

I have a dual modem/router system that gives off wifi, I restarted it several times thru the gateway, I unplugged the ethernet cable and plugged it back in, I've restarted both computers, I'm not over my data limit and this just randomly started happening and I don't know what to do.

If someone could please shed some light on this question I have of wtf is going wrong please do I'm half-clueless when it comes to networking. Thank you!

anceintsz

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
I went to the cmd on the desktop and ran it as admin. Then I typed;

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

then unplugged the ethernet cable and went to wifi adapter properties and turned off sharing connection with other computers. After that I turned back on sharing connection with other computers and plugged the ethernet cable back into the desktop computer.

I don't know how long this will last but it works now.