[SOLVED] Desktop Continuously Flashing

Emohobo

Reputable
Jan 11, 2017
So, I've already read several threads on this website and others about this issue but the problem is I can't even do any of the solutions. I was using my laptop with Windows 10 Pro on it just fine, then suddenly it essentially looked like it was almost refreshing windows explorer repeatedly. All icons disappear along with taskbar and anything that is open closes. After about a second all windows explorer items come back, then disappear again almost immediately. I tried the registry editing, nothing. Now I can't even keep anything open to try any of the fixes I've seen. I really don't want to do a clean install as a lot of pictures are still on there and I really have no way currently to get them off. Any ideas on what could be causing the issue and how to fix it?

Solution
How to save data:

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd
If this happened to me, I'd restore from a recent full system backup I've made. If you don't have a backup, you'll need to get something like Linux Mint, boot from it, and copy your data to a flash drive or external hard drive. Then you can reinstall Windows and all your applications.

How to save data:

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

Solution