[SOLVED] Desktop crashes on startup and countless BSOD on windows 10 1809

Feb 7, 2019
Hey folks, I'm in terrible situation right now because of major issue that prevents me from using my PC. I have done countless clean windows format and install but the problem just keep occurring.

I have a custom PC with specs AMD Ryzen5 2400G, 2x 8GB corsair 2400MHZ vengeance lpx, aorus x470 Ultra gaming, aorus gtx 1060 6GB, and bunch of drives (ssds and hdds)

what is happening is that whenever i start the pc, the welcome login screen takes ages to load and when desktop comes, it just freezes, only wallpaper and barely anything loads (like only start on task bar and date, and nothing else, not even desktop icons). And if i try to right click, open start menu, task manager or anything else, it crashes and reloads desktop but still nothing comes up, it takes around 5 to 10 min to properly load the desktop. This started happening more than a month ago. Not only this, but apps and games i use are highly unstable and keep crashing, sometime it gives error like exception not handled and sometimes pc dies of BSOD. I have tried to reset the system at least 5 times and yet this desktop issues keeps coming like a loop, Searching online, i found out that explorer.exe is not loading properly during startup and hence desktop hangs and crashes, but even after reseting the pc, this problem happens within a week

in september due to power fluctuations my motherboard and gpu (different gpu 1050ti, i upgraded to 1060 later in october) got fried, i gave mb and gpu for rma and they replaced it, but this problem started occurring in around december

Things i have tried

memtest (says ok)

chkdsk /f (says ok)

around 5 formats and clean installs yet this keep occuring

try with one ram stick (problem still occurs)

use different drive for windows (problem still occurs)

im really helpless now and thinking of giving my pc for rma, but if any helps come from you guys it would be amazing!

Colif

Win 11 Master
unplug every drive except the boot drive, see if that makes any difference. a non responsive hdd can slow down boot
remove any unessential devices, so unplug external hdd, speakers, only have mouse/kb attached

on the login screen, click the power button in bottom right of screen
while holding shift, click the restart button
this will restart PC in windows recovery environment
follow this to gert into safe mode -

choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

does PC react same way?

Do you have latest BIOS for motherboard?

Can you follow option one on the following link - here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link here and I will get someone to convert file into a format I can read

Feb 7, 2019
I tried booting in safe mode, and it successfully booted. I tried to uninstall some apps that i doubted to cause boot issues, and also cleared temp, it didn't help

i have windows on m.2 and rest i have 3 sata drives, i removed all sata drive and tried to boot, it booted successfully, no desktop crashes and long welcome screen

i tried booting with each drive connected yet i wasn't able to reproduce the issue even with all 3 connected at once. I left the pc shut and idle and tried booting again in 30 mins and the problem returned back. So i removed the suspected hdd and tried booting and problem was gone. I tried connecting it back and problem didn't came back, So im guessing either its hdd or psu that has gone bad. i forgot to mention my psu is 550W and i did 2 online psu calculations they said to use a 650W psu, also my psu suffered the power surge that killed my motherboard and old gpu, but the shop service said my psu is okay, do you the psu has gone bad?

Feb 7, 2019

okay sure, i will the run the tests, i have wd hdd blue 7.2k rpm, wd ssd, gigabyte m.2 nvme and a toshiba 2.5" hdd

TRENDING THREADS