[SOLVED] Desktop dL speed / HTPC dL speed vastly different

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

samhfoley

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
I am currently paying for 1Gbps internet. However, on my Desktop PC, I am only receiving less than 100 Mbps. On my HTPC I am showing speeds of 700 Mbps on Speedtest and am getting dL speeds of 200-300 Mbps usually.....I'm not sure what is the problem here. I also got a new router for the 1gbps connection. Any help is appreciated :)

tried upgrading to CAT 8 cabling as well...currently CAT 6.... no change.

both connections are wired directly to the router.

Here are my DESKTOP specs:
CPU: Intel core i7-6700K @4.00GHz
MB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z170 PRO GAMING
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB
HDD: Samsumg SSD 850 EVO 250GB
Router: TP-Link AC2300 Wireless WiFi Router | Powerful 1.8GHz Dual-Core Processor, MU-MIMO (Archer C2300)

ookla speed test results for DESKTOP PC
https://www.speedtest.net/result/8521624425

Here are my HTPC specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
MB: MSI B350M MORTAR (MS-7A37)
GPU: GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
HDD: WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, M.2 2280
Router: TP-Link AC2300 Wireless WiFi Router | Powerful 1.8GHz Dual-Core Processor, MU-MIMO (Archer C2300)

ookla speed test results for HTPC
https://www.speedtest.net/result/8521626669

Solution
Well the one test you did get to work pretty much shows everything is ok. The laptop can send data at maximum rate and the desktop can receive it. Since it was desktop download you had issues with this shows the desktop itself has no issues getting that much data. It is highly likely it will work in the other direction once you get past whatever is restricting the access. You might have to run the command in a windows launched with admin mode.

I would not spend a lot more time chasing this part of it. It is not likely your drivers or cables or ports in the equipment.

Now you start to suspect the router or maybe something strange with the software in the PC. This thread is fairly long did you test directly connected to...
Well the one test you did get to work pretty much shows everything is ok. The laptop can send data at maximum rate and the desktop can receive it. Since it was desktop download you had issues with this shows the desktop itself has no issues getting that much data. It is highly likely it will work in the other direction once you get past whatever is restricting the access. You might have to run the command in a windows launched with admin mode.

I would not spend a lot more time chasing this part of it. It is not likely your drivers or cables or ports in the equipment.

Now you start to suspect the router or maybe something strange with the software in the PC. This thread is fairly long did you test directly connected to your modem without the router. I suppose you could factory reset your router and only configure the admin and wifi passwords. Maybe there is something that was accidentally configured.

Make sure you do no have any so called "gaming" accelerators or other so called network accelerators running on your pc. Some come packaged with the motherboard software.

This gets complex when it is not some simple cable or something.

Solution
Maybe its some issue I have but those screen shots are blurry. BUT from what I can tell you are getting inconsistent speeds much lower than the other test you ran that showed 900mbps.

Although it could be a bad port this most times is a bad cable. Make sure the cable you use are pure copper (no cca) and have wire size 22-24.

Although it tends to be messy to setup because you must set static ip you could try a direct cable between the 2 machines. This is to try to eliminate the ports in the router or switch you have between the 2 devices.

It is highly unlikely it is bad port but it does happen.

samhfoley

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010

Now you start to suspect the router or maybe something strange with the software in the PC. This thread is fairly long did you test directly connected to your modem without the router. I suppose you could factory reset your router and only configure the admin and wifi passwords. Maybe there is something that was accidentally configured.

Make sure you do no have any so called "gaming" accelerators or other so called network accelerators running on your pc. Some come packaged with the motherboard software.

This gets complex when it is not some simple cable or something.

I built the PC, installed the MB myself. Just installed basic MB firmware....after looking under ASUS I found AI suite 3 installed. I've never opened it or set anything inside of it. I just opened it and found this menu....

https://ibb.co/SnpZKvM

Do I need to set anything from within here? Uninstall it?? Let me know.

The issue occurred before with my NETGEAR R7000, so I recently changed routers to TP-Link (Archer C2300)

samhfoley

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Maybe its some issue I have but those screen shots are blurry. BUT from what I can tell you are getting inconsistent speeds much lower than the other test you ran that showed 900mbps.

Although it could be a bad port this most times is a bad cable. Make sure the cable you use are pure copper (no cca) and have wire size 22-24.

Although it tends to be messy to setup because you must set static ip you could try a direct cable between the 2 machines. This is to try to eliminate the ports in the router or switch you have between the 2 devices.

It is highly unlikely it is bad port but it does happen.

I thought this was the issue before so I bought
CAT 8 Ethernet Cable, VANDESAIL 15ft Internet Network Cord, High Speed SSTP LAN Cables with Gold Plated RJ45 Connector for Router, Modem, Gaming, Xbox (15ft, Black - 2Pack)
I tried this before but didn't seem to have much effect, so I was going to return it. I still have it, so I just rewired the HTPC and the Desktop and reran the program.

Asus has some silly gamer thing but the ai suite is ok. There are parts of it you do not want just because it junk trying to get you to pay to upgrade to a better version.

That is cable is extremely suspect. There is no such thing as cat8. Even cat7 cable was not fully certified. When a company tells outright lies its hard to say what else they lie about.

Pretty much the only cables you ever want to use are cat5e for gigabit and cat6a for 10g connections. Everything else is just trying to get you spend more money for magic. You at times can get cat6 cable for less than cat5e so you buy it them.

I really don't know what to suggest the cheapest thing is to try other ethernet cables. From what i can tell you have already verified your drivers. Make sure you are running the drivers from intel or asus and not ones microsoft loaded. There is option you must set to prevent it from updating drivers with the crap generic ones microsoft uses.

samhfoley

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Was the network cable used with the laptop tried on the desktop? Think op answered me on this but like to check again.

Perhaps a 10$ switch might help troubleshoot. Or connect directly between PC's suggested by bill.
There is no laptop. There is a desktop PC and a home theater PC.

connet 2 PC's via ethernet cable and run test? No wiring to router whatsoever?

samhfoley

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Oh ok, i saw laptop earlier thought it was a laptop. Nevermind, same thing right ;D?

Yeah try connecting like that as bill suggested. Im not sure if crossover cables are still necessary nowadays.

Have you tested the pc with the cable that is known to be good?
Good cable to is too short. I need about 14ft of cable. good cable is like 3 ft.

Ok,Ill try and run with cable between 2 machines

samhfoley

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
This has been asked multiple times so you really should take the box there where your htcp is and test the cable. First thing you should have done. Or get an ordinary 5e cable.
I have been using an ordinary Cat5 cable, it's just 15ft long. I only replaced it with the Cat8? cable I mentioned above for testing purposes. Now I am back to the Cat5 cable I've been using.

but I can try and get the case over there later today or tomorrow. monitors fixed to desktop have to be unhinged and moved cables pulled from wall casing, etc...Today's schedeule is too hectic..I'll try and get it done ASAP

boju

Titan
Ambassador
No worries. Yeah just to rule out cables completely since we know that one works. Coincidence maybe, could be something wrong with the cat5 cable that your pc might be having trouble with but not the htcp and the cat8 cable isn't any better. But if the htpc works fine with both of these cables then it's possible i guess where these cables are layed, something might be causing interference to the cables or interference within the cable itself.

Do you know if the cat5 cable is cat5e or cat5 non e?

TRENDING THREADS