Question Desktop doesn't connect to internet via wireless bridge after computer restart

Nov 4, 2019
I currently have the below network setup for my desktop. When both the wireless bridge and desktop get turned on together, the setup works, however if I turn the computer off and the bridge remains on, the desktop will not connect to the internet after being turned on again. I therefore have to ensure both are off first and then turned on for it to connect to the internet.

Setup:
  • Modem : No modem information on System Information?
  • Router 1: Netgear GWNR2010v5
  • Router 2: Apple's Airport Express 802.11n (2nd generation)

• Motherboard: AsusP8H67-M PRO
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.177763 Build 17763
  • Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, Ethernet 802.3

• ISP: AllTele Allmanna Svenska Telefonaktiebolaget
3 devices are currently connected to the netgear router, 1 desktop and 2 phones. The list excludes the Airport Express Router.

Configuration:
Netgear router connected to internet through wire (dont know the exact setup of this as it is an apartment - I can ask my girlfriend later). The Airport Express is then connected to the netgear router wirelessly, and Airport Express to desktop via ethernet. Through Airport Utility (software for the Airport Express) I have told the Apple router to join the current network(netgear router) via static addresses - this works correctly on initial desktop and router bootup. Via my default gateway I have configured the Airport Express and desktop to given a reserved static ip address via their mac addresses.

My observations, attempts and troubleshooting:
Works correctly on synced bootup and the desktop gets assigned the IP addessed I reserved for it, however if the computer is restarted, I see that the computer is assigned an IP address differently to the reservation. Troubleshooter advice says: "Ethernet" doesn't have a valid ip configuration". I have tried to assign the ethernet/desktop the IP I reserved for it, but it will not work, even on restart with these settings. With these settings, the troubleshoot says "Investigate router or broadband modem issues" and essentially to reset the device.

Notes:
This is my first post, apologies if this should have been posted in Networking and not Wireless Networking. Please let me know if you need more details. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS