Question Desktop doesn't switch on while GPU plugged in

_Joe_D_

Reputable
Apr 7, 2016
Problem: Desktop randomly turned off while playing Witcher 3. I tried to switch it back on, but nothing happened. The keyboard is still on, and when I unplug and re-plug in my PC, the light will come on for maybe half a second, as well as the fans, but then nothing whenever I try again (although keyboard is still receiving power). My speakers are also repeatedly making very quiet buzzing sounds off and on.

More Background: I built my gaming PC 4 years ago, and have had no problems since. However, after switching it on for the first time in 3 months, it turned off mid-usage. I then turned it on and it continued to work fine. Over a week later and this has happened again, except I cannot switch it back on again. I have since cleaned the large amount of dust from within the PC, as well as vaguely check to make sure all the wires are plugged in properly, and that nothing is touching the motherboard that shouldn't, but it still doesn't work.

When I unplugged the GPU, I could turn it on again. When I plugged it back in again, the problem returned. Is this definitely a faulty GPU, or could it be a faulty connection of some sort? Do failed GPUs usually cause the PC to not turn on like this?

Thanks for any help.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS