Desktop Folder Location Question

moot281

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016
Hello all, I recently took the dive into building my own PC after my Macbook quit on me. I did my first boot just a few days ago, installed my OS (Windows 8), installed all the necessary drivers, and just spent the last day or so getting any and all programs I want downloaded (Steam, iTunes, etc..).

I am running a double hard drive configuration, 120GB SSD for my OS and a 1TB physical drive for anything else, which has ,so far, worked great. I believe I made the mistake, however, of changing the desktop folder location (which also contained my user file) from my C drive (SSD) to my E drive (physical drive) thinking I would save the space. Little did I know, anything saved into that folder appears on my desktop. When I try to revert the file location back to its default (C Drive) I am given a message stating that it "failed to build a list of regular sub-directories under E;/System Volume Information" and that my access is denied.
Now I believe I was prompted a message when I did this in the first place that the action of moving this file location was irreversible but I thought it was what I was needing to do so I ignored it. I may have just answered my own question but hopefully not.

It's not a huge problem, but I am just looking to see if there is a way around this.

Any help or explanation would be great! Thanks!

Well, I smeed to have somewhat fixed my problem. I went into my hkey_user_profile and followed a few more steps to be able to revert the desktop location back to my SSD, though I feel as though just kind of repeated my current problem. Now everything on my SSD shows up on my desktop. I'm considering just wiping both drives and restarting from square one since I dont really have anything of importance saved yet. Any other ideas?

Solution

I actually did try that....but I got an "access denied" message. Yeah, I figured as much though. I went ahead and did a reset and started clean again. Only took about an hour to reset/reinstall the OS and everything. I am just going to keep that registry where it's at from now one. Haha.

Thank you for replying and lending a hand, though! It's appreciated!

moot281

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016

The first time I did it (from its original location C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop) I just right clicked and went into properties, like you mentioned. The second go around, I opened up regedit in the command prompt, and navigated my way until I found the desktop value (HKEY_user_profile/software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Shell Folders/ where the steps I took to get to the desktop value). Its value was my physical drive and I just changed it back to my C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop.

the_phantom_boy

Reputable
Mar 10, 2015
Why didn't you try to revert the change... simply by doing the exact same thing?
Right click... properties... blablabla...

Is there any case that you maybe edit/delete/move some other registry key?
When you mess with registry keys, if you don't really know what you are doing, there is a good chance (depending on the changes of course) that you may create small/big/HUGE problems...

moot281

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016

I actually did try that....but I got an "access denied" message. Yeah, I figured as much though. I went ahead and did a reset and started clean again. Only took about an hour to reset/reinstall the OS and everything. I am just going to keep that registry where it's at from now one. Haha.

Thank you for replying and lending a hand, though! It's appreciated!

Solution