Desktop freezes and could not boot up (components still running)

sky87

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
I have an issue which my gaming desktop froze without warning and did not start up upon pressing the reset button. I have noticed this since Wednesday and was observing the symptoms before I can fully confirm the situation.

So what happens was the freezing problem happened regardless of any game running or just being idle in Windows 10. When I pressed the Reset button, the system refused to boot up Windows or even BIOS at the start, just a blank screen on the monitor. The lights and fans were running but the fans would be at full blast as if running on overclock which I don't use overclock at all.

I have tried removing the RAM chip and placing it in a separate slot but still same issue, also tried starting the system without the chip with same results. I have done some searching online which suspects ranged from faults on the MB to the GPU and even to the PSU.

Of all the suspects, I have a feeling it may be overheating since it doesn't make sense for the system to start normally the next day if it was hardware issue but I could be wrong. Before I start taking things apart (I am no tech savvy guy and am afraid of messing up my prized 2-3 year old system), I want to get an opinion of what could be the main cause.

Again, I will summarize:

1. System freezes upon turning PC on (with or without game running) and refuse to start up BIOS boot upon turning off power/pressing Reset button.
2. Even without the boot up, desktop components still running with lights on but fans may be at full blast.
3. If I leave it and on it again the next day, it can start up and run normally until step 1 starts cycle again after a few minutes or hours later.
4. So far have tried removing RAM and turning it on, also tried slotting RAM in new slot with same result (ie not fixing the issue).

So long story short your system will freeze after using it for a small while, and when it does you have trouble starting up again unless some time period passes. Could you start by posting your full system specs? It surely does sound like a possible temp issue-what cpu cooler are you using? Is it an air cooler or AIO?

sky87

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

Specs: AMD FX Series 6 processor, Hyper X 8GB DDR3 RAM, MSI 970 Gaming MB, 1TB HD + 120GB SSD, AMD Radeon R9 380, PSU 650W, Armageddon casing, Windows 10 Pro 64. System built in April 2016.

Can't recall the fan's brand but it's definitely one meant for gaming and it is air-cooler. I recalled AMD processors had a tendency to overheat faster compared to Intel but never had any overheat issues in the past until now.

sky87

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

Yeah, will try that out first. That meant going to shop for new thermal paste.

Update: No luck. After giving the components some clean up still not working. In fact, I was unable to turn the desktop on since yesterday afternoon.

While I have yet to go in-depth with replacing the thermal paste, given the fact it could not boot up since yesterday afternoon, could it be a possible component failure now?