[SOLVED] Desktop halts at startup

hcccs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
My desktop running Windows10 halts at startup with "Press DEL or F2 to enter UEFI ...". I can't get any further and consequently cannot load on my Acronis Recovery DVD. What Do I do?

Solution
With the system powered down disconnect all drives(hdd, ssd and optical) and disconnect all external peripherals except for mouse, keyboard and monitor. Then turn it on and see if it stops in the same place or gives you an error along the lines of there not being any bootable devices installed.

If it does try and boot(get the boot error) then it's likely one of the devices you unplugged is causing the problem. Connect them back 1 at a time(shutting down in between of coarse as you don't want to hotswap anything) till you isolate which part it is.

If it stops in the same place, power down and remove the ram and then reinstall 1 stick into dimm slot 1(closest to the cpu) and try again. Test both sticks individually to see if one has...

hcccs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
The boot device LED lights up so now I know that. I try to press DEL or F2 as soon as I can to try to enter BIOS (UEFI) but nothing happens. Is there any other way to enter BIOD?

hcccs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
What configuration is the ram in?
2 x 8Gb.
Power supply: Corsair TX850

BTW, I built this PC 5-6 years ago and it has been working flawlessly up til a month ago when this problem appeared and a guy helped me fix it. He said that my C drive was filled up to much (10 Gb left of 128). It shouldn't stop me from getting into BIOS (UEFI) I think.

bignastyid

Titan
With the system powered down disconnect all drives(hdd, ssd and optical) and disconnect all external peripherals except for mouse, keyboard and monitor. Then turn it on and see if it stops in the same place or gives you an error along the lines of there not being any bootable devices installed.

If it does try and boot(get the boot error) then it's likely one of the devices you unplugged is causing the problem. Connect them back 1 at a time(shutting down in between of coarse as you don't want to hotswap anything) till you isolate which part it is.

If it stops in the same place, power down and remove the ram and then reinstall 1 stick into dimm slot 1(closest to the cpu) and try again. Test both sticks individually to see if one has failed.

Solution

hcccs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009

If it stops in the same place, power down and remove the ram and then reinstall 1 stick into dimm slot 1(closest to the cpu) and try again. Test both sticks individually to see if one has failed.

Disconnected all drives and DVD reader and it came up saying
Current BIOS setting do not fully support the boot device.
Go to Advanced > Boot > CSM params and adjust ...

I couldn't find the CSM parameters.

I closed down, connected the SSD drive and switched on and I got the error again, the boot_device_LED.
So, what's wrong with the SSD drive, is it too full or is it something else. I purchased it 'used' on eBay at the time. Time to invest in a bigger and NEW drive?

bignastyid

Titan
Disconnected all drives and DVD reader and it came up saying
Current BIOS setting do not fully support the boot device.
Go to Advanced > Boot > CSM params and adjust ...

I couldn't find the CSM parameters.

I closed down, connected the SSD drive and switched on and I got the error again, the boot_device_LED.
So, what's wrong with the SSD drive, is it too full or is it something else. I purchased it 'used' on eBay at the time. Time to invest in a bigger and NEW drive?

Sounds to me like the SSD has kicked the bucket. Being full would just make it slower, not stop the system from completing post.