Desktop Hangs on Blackscreen for 30s then shows and runs normally

Stoya

Reputable
May 29, 2014
In the past month every time I turn on the computer the "Welcome" screen lasts about 15-30 seconds longer than usual and when it goes away a black screen with my cursor appears for about 30 seconds and after that my desktop loads and the computer runs normally as if nothing strange has ever occured.

To try and fix this myself I have changed my graphics drivers and nothing has happened but today I worked out when turning on guest account and using that it goes back to normal with a 2 second welcome screen and into an instant desktop. If anyone has any idea's I can do to tunnel down and isolate the problem or give some tips on how to fix this, Thanks!

emdea22

Distinguished
fastest way to fix it is reinstall windows. And cut down on the bloatware. Use certified software not all the crap (searchbars, antispyware programs, PC enhancement programs, game tweekers) just use trusted and tested software and it'll be fine.

Stoya

Reputable
May 29, 2014

I'd kind of rather find the problem instead of just restarting over again

Stoya

Reputable
May 29, 2014

How long would a reinstall of windows take and will I lose much data?

emdea22

Distinguished
Repair will most likely not fix your issue.You need a clean reinstall. The way i see it you have two options.

1. Considering you don't have experience with partitions and windows installations you could just leave it be as its not a major problem.
2. Someone has to guide you remotely (or not) how to backup your data and install windows,

If you chose option two i can guide you through data backup and some prep before instalation but as long as you don't have a secondary pc so we can communicate you'll be on your own during the Windows install.