Question msi B250M - BD ProcHot and VR Thermal (Core + Ring)

ScyberMhaster

Distinguished
May 22, 2015
Good day!

These are my system specs:
  • MSI B250M Mortar Arctic
  • i7-7700 (Cooled by ID-Cooling AuraFlow X240 RGB)
  • 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz T-Force Delta RGB
  • ADATA XPG 256GB NVM.e
  • Galax GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
  • FSP Hydro G 750W 80+ Gold (Fully Modular with Extension Cables)
Yesterday morning, I tried to open my computer and I noticed so much lag. So I restarted it, but still, so lag. I opened the Task Manager and saw that the CPU capped at 0.79 GHz with 22% Utilization, regardless of load. The Power Management configured on my OS was in Balanced Mode. So I changed it to High Performance Mode, but still, capped. I have tried these methods already:
  • Updated / Rollback the BIOS from A.60 (Latest) to A.00 (Initial / Oldest)
  • Fixed the CPU Ratio to 36-41.
  • Disabled Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitoring, C States, Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology
  • Reseat the Processor - No bent pins.
  • Replaced the Thermal Paste of the Processor and the Chipset.
  • Replaced the Thermal Pads of the VRM Heat Sinks.
  • Removed the GPU, so Intel Graphics will work.
  • Reseat the CMOS Battery, for 10 minutes.
  • Updated the drivers in Windows 10 - Intel Management Engine and AHCI Controllers.
  • Reseat the ID-Cooling AIO Pump to the Processor.
But, all these do not change anything, still capped at 0.80 GHz. There is an instance, wherein it goes back to normal to 4.00 GHz, but it is just a matter of seconds or minutes, then capped again to 0.80 GHz. I downloaded the ThrottleStop program, and saw BD PROCHOT / VR THERMAL on CORE / VR THERMAL on RING. Opened HWInfo64, and saw that RING: VR Thermal = No. But when I unchecked the BD PROCHOT in ThrottleStop, the RING: VR Thermal in HWInfo64 will go to Yes.

Now, I left the ThrottleStop program opened. But the speed does not go above 3.6 GHz, which as far as I know, can go around 4.0 GHz. I have set the Clock to 39T > 40T > 41T, but nothing happened. So I am stuck at 3.60 GHz now.

Last edited: