Question Desktop Icon display on the secondary monitor.

Sep 10, 2022
I have two monitors. I have no idea what happened but since yesterday my desktop icon have decided that they would display on the wrong monitor. When I google it every guide say that they should appear on whatever the main display is set to be but mine does the opposite. Every time I set my monitor to be my main display, the icons will go to the opposite screen. They will also reset their position everytime I reboot the PC even if I move them manually to the monitor I want them to be. I've tried playing around with the settings in the Nvidia panel and in the windows 11 display settings but nothing works. It's driving me nuts.

And it's going to continue to drive you nuts until you install Displayfusion. Windows has always had both random and persistent issues with various aspects of their multi monitor support. I'm very surprised you haven't had issues prior to this if you've had this configuration a while.

Every time you update the display driver, or connect/disconnect displays, and ten other triggers, all cause weird crap like icons moving, wrong display being configured as left/right for mouse movement, applications opening on the wrong display, and so on.

Since installing the free version of Displayfusion I've never had any issues with anything related to having multiple monitors ever again.

The free version never expires, and while it lacks some features of the paid version they are not anything that I've ever missed but if you need very advanced options for multi monitor configuration, it's there for those who require it. For the rest of us, the free version does basically everything that Windows, Nvidia, AMD SHOULD do natively, but doesn't.

Sep 10, 2022
Thanks for your reply. It seems like I found culprit. The auto-reorganize icons option was unchecked... I genuinely don't remember but I must've clicked on it by accident somehow after switching my main display (which I do frequently as certain games I have play better on a 1080p monitor than a 1440p). At least that's the only thing I can think about. I checked it AFTER reorganizing the icons manually on the correct display and now it seems like they stay in place even after a reboot and that they follow the main display as they should when I switch them around. I will download the software and If I ever encounter a multi-monitor problem I will have that option. So thank you.

Political opinions and insults are not welcome in a tech forum
And it's going to continue to drive you nuts until you install Displayfusion. Windows has always had both random and persistent issues with various aspects of their multi monitor support.
[REMOVED BY MODERATOR]

To the OP: This might happen if one of your monitor was disconnected while Windows started, or was running. Your recollection of events is also a good reason.

Last edited by a moderator: