[SOLVED] Desktop icons and sub-folders not opening properly ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UFRanger

Distinguished
May 26, 2014
For some reason my when I click on a desktop icon or a sub-folder, I get a window with 6 tabs at the top (security, general, shortcut and other stuff) It does the same thing when I click on a sub file folder ( like I click on Music folder, then I click a folder in there and it does the same thing as above with that window popping up.
And to make matters worse. Google Chrome won't let me click on anything or let me type in the search bar. I also can't right click anything.
I tried following a couple utube videos but didn't work either, any help is greatly appreciated.

Colif

Win 11 Master
so its showing properties tab when you click a file? thats odd
so left click sounds like it does right click

Does mouse have its own software?

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

this doesn't remove anything, it just stops non microsoft apps from running at start up. easily reversed.

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

UFRanger

Distinguished
May 26, 2014

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

this doesn't remove anything, it just stops non microsoft apps from running at start up. easily reversed.

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Thanks for responding
The mouse is a reg plug n play wireless.

When I turn it on, it won't let me type anything in the search box on the task bar at the bottom, neither will Windows +R to go to run ( Chrome does the same thing, can't type anything in search bar)
I restarted in safe mode, still same problem.
I used ctr+alt+delete to get to task manager ,under startup tab disabled my Adobe cs6 service manager (low) impact, cause I thought that my cs6 might be the problem, nothing changed. ( a message from Adobe pops up telling me that my photoshop app has been disabled, and has a link to "fix it", so I just close the link. But that one app being disabled wouldn't cause this type of problem, would it?
So how do I get to the proper place to do a clean boot, if I can't type anything?
I tried using a USB keyboard too and still can't.
Man this is nuts

Colif

Win 11 Master
i wouldn't think disabling an Adobe app would cause this problem.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - just a handy boot drive

wonder if the same thing happens if you boot off a USB
how did you get to safe mode? through blue screens? does mouse work in here?

can't really get into safe mode off USB, its disabled at startup unless you can get to logon screen... and we know mouse doesn't work there.

You could try system restore, roll pc back to before it all started (if you have a restore point).
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose system restore
pick a restore date prior to problem happening
PC will restart and roll settings back to how they were.

UFRanger

Distinguished
May 26, 2014
i wouldn't think disabling an Adobe app would cause this problem.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - just a handy boot drive

wonder if the same thing happens if you boot off a USB
how did you get to safe mode? through blue screens? does mouse work in here?

can't really get into safe mode off USB, its disabled at startup unless you can get to logon screen... and we know mouse doesn't work there.

You could try system restore, roll pc back to before it all started (if you have a restore point).
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose system restore
pick a restore date prior to problem happening
PC will restart and roll settings back to how they were.

Ok, you're gonna laugh,
Turns out the "Alt" key on my USB keyboard was stuck in place, and didn't see because I had some papers on it, anywho I was going to switch it to my other computer when I saw it. Pushed it back up, and noticed that I could click on folders without the property window coming on, and everything seems to be back to normal. It's a good blessing , man do I feel stupid. Thanks again for the help troubleshooting 🙃

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
I normally notice if there is something on my keyboard.
I didn't think to get you to move keyboard, it wasn't an obvious fix... I assumed it was clear already.

I have to assume you don't use keyboard as much as I do.

so alt double left click desktop icons shows properties... i just checked.
Alt double right click just shows the normal menu for me
I did notice some oddities while I had alt pressed down.

Now I have to add another possible fix to my list: is alt key stuck down :)

UFRanger

Distinguished
May 26, 2014
I normally notice if there is something on my keyboard.
I didn't think to get you to move keyboard, it wasn't an obvious fix... I assumed it was clear already.

I have to assume you don't use keyboard as much as I do.

so alt double left click desktop icons shows properties... i just checked.
Alt double right click just shows the normal menu for me
I did notice some oddities while I had alt pressed down.

Now I have to add another possible fix to my list: is alt key stuck down :)

I use it if I'm on the couch vs sitting at my desk. I usually sit papers on it to remind me to imput the things I write down.
Must have pressed it by accident, although I did wipe it down so hopefully it doesn't happen again, change my routine and sit papers somewhere else.
Again thank you for your time

Status
Not open for further replies.