[SOLVED] Desktop icons flashing

Mlit

Commendable
Jan 27, 2021
I don't know how common this problem is with anyone else, but for the last couple of weeks I've had this thing where my desktop icons occasionally flash/refresh. I'm not sure what the cause may be, I've tried switching live search off/to manual but it didn't work as I hoped. I feel like the solution might be to just reinstall windows. I've given my ssds an optimisation and there's still enough space on them, and all virus/malware scans come up clean. Maybe there's a bottleneck formed somewhere but I wouldn't know where to begin on that. As long as the flashing isn't a serious problem I'll live it for a little longer before I do something else about it. As always any suggestion will be considered and appreciated.

Solution
3 years old (at best) for almost any PSU makes that PSU somewhat suspect.

Especially if the PSU has been used for heavy gaming, video work, and even mining.

PSU's are a critical component that supplies 3 different voltages to the host computer. A problem with any voltage can lead to any number of problems for the host computer.

=====

As always, ensure that all important data is backed, proven recoverable, and readable. At least two copies - separately located.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Check by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, pinched or kinked wires...
I don't know how common this problem is with anyone else, but for the last couple of weeks I've had this thing where my desktop icons occasionally flash/refresh. I'm not sure what the cause may be, I've tried switching live search off/to manual but it didn't work as I hoped. I feel like the solution might be to just reinstall windows. I've given my ssds an optimisation and there's still enough space on them, and all virus/malware scans come up clean. Maybe there's a bottleneck formed somewhere but I wouldn't know where to begin on that. As long as the flashing isn't a serious problem I'll live it for a little longer before I do something else about it. As always any suggestion will be considered and appreciated.
Sounds odd but have you tried a different keyboard it maybe just the keyboard registering the f5 key being hit evey now and then for some reason

Ralston18

Titan
Just one flash - all icons.? Or multiple flashes?

More description may prove helpful.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Look in Reliability History for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that you can identify as corresponding to the flashing.

Run the built-in Windows troubleshooters. The trouble shooters may find and fix something.

Try "sfc /scannow" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/ho...-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

Mlit

Commendable
Jan 27, 2021
Sounds odd but have you tried a different keyboard it maybe just the keyboard registering the f5 key being hit evey now and then for some reason
I don't know if it's that, my browsing experience hasn't been plagued with accidental refreshes. I have been meaning to get a new keyboard for a while now. on the subject of that, which mechanical switch is best for gaming, red, blue or brown?

Mlit

Commendable
Jan 27, 2021
Just one flash - all icons.? Or multiple flashes?

More description may prove helpful.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Look in Reliability History for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that you can identify as corresponding to the flashing.

Run the built-in Windows troubleshooters. The trouble shooters may find and fix something.

Try "sfc /scannow" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/ho...-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/
scannow was the other thing I tried before disabling live search but it never came up with anything. Reliability History isn't bringing up anything alarming though, just spybot when I had it installed freezing on me when trying to clear selected items. Have uninstalled it recently anyway.

When it flashes, it does it once when it does, exactly as when you right click refresh and I think it does it roughly every 15 to 20 minutes but I don't always notice it because I'm focussing on a windowed browser or document.

From Speccy:
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.40GHz 21 °C
Skylake 14nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1069MHz (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard
MSI Z170A GAMING M7 (MS-7976) (U3E1) 26 °C
Graphics
SAMSUNG (3840x2160@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (MSI) 35 °C
Storage
232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SATA (SSD)) 28 °C
465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (SATA (SSD)) 23 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW UH12NS30
Audio
NVIDIA High Definition Audio

Ralston18

Titan
Cannot specifically say one way or another. Someone else may comment accordingly based on the postings to date.

However, that said, there is no harm in rolling back to basic/default settings or establishing some level where the refreshes do not occur.

Then gradually, allowing time between changes, begin to increase rates if and until the refreshes again start.

Change nothing else and keep some notes.

= = = =

Note: After reading back I realized that I forgot to ask about the PSU.

Make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Mlit

Commendable
Jan 27, 2021
Cannot specifically say one way or another. Someone else may comment accordingly based on the postings to date.

However, that said, there is no harm in rolling back to basic/default settings or establishing some level where the refreshes do not occur.

Then gradually, allowing time between changes, begin to increase rates if and until the refreshes again start.

Change nothing else and keep some notes.

= = = =

Note: After reading back I realized that I forgot to ask about the PSU.

Make, model, wattage, age, condition?
Corsair 750i. Had it maybe 3-4 years at the very most. Very good condition, never let me.

Ralston18

Titan
3 years old (at best) for almost any PSU makes that PSU somewhat suspect.

Especially if the PSU has been used for heavy gaming, video work, and even mining.

PSU's are a critical component that supplies 3 different voltages to the host computer. A problem with any voltage can lead to any number of problems for the host computer.

=====

As always, ensure that all important data is backed, proven recoverable, and readable. At least two copies - separately located.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Check by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, pinched or kinked wires, discoloration on or around components, swelling of components.

Hopefully something is just a bit loose. Once tightened up the flashes may stop.

You also can test a PSU to some extent if you have a multi-meter and know how to use it. Or know someone who does.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test as the PSU is not under load. Any voltages out of tolerance could be leading toward gradual or sudden failure.

Solution