Desktop icons not working at all

Here's a strange one...on a Windows 2000 desktop (service pack 4), the
icons have suddenly stopped working. All the icons are there on the
desktop, but when I double-click on any icon or folder, nothing
happens. There are no error messages at all; I simply cannot open up
any folder or icon on the desktop. This includes My Computer - if I
double-click on it, nothing happens. The Start Menu works, the
Quick-Launch buttons on the toolbar work. I can run programs when I go
through the Start Menu (Start, Programs, etc.); only the desktop icons
do not work at all.

Any suggestions?

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

anyone at the office mad at you, or like practical jokes? there was an old
joke where you took a snapshot of the desktop and made that the wallpaper
then hid the real icons.

"Modemac" <modemac@modemac.com> wrote in message
> Here's a strange one...on a Windows 2000 desktop (service pack 4), the
> icons have suddenly stopped working. All the icons are there on the
> desktop, but when I double-click on any icon or folder, nothing
> happens. There are no error messages at all; I simply cannot open up
> any folder or icon on the desktop. This includes My Computer - if I
> double-click on it, nothing happens. The Start Menu works, the
> Quick-Launch buttons on the toolbar work. I can run programs when I go
> through the Start Menu (Start, Programs, etc.); only the desktop icons
> do not work at all.
>
> Any suggestions?

TRENDING THREADS