Desktop icons turning into white paper icon and going missing

Jul 27, 2018
I have a newly built pc. Did all the set up stuff like windows updates and updating drivers. I started downloading software I use and some games. I have an ssd as my boot drive and a hard drive where I was planning to download most of my games. I recently downloaded League of Legends, Fortnite, and HWmonitor. Recently after each boot (I shut down my PC off when I'm done) my desktop icons disappear or become corrupt. At first, it was for League of Legends, I got the white paper icon and it said the file was missing. I checked the hard drive and it was still there. Next it was for Steam, same thing happened. I also have Steam installed on my HDD. Today it was for the Epic Games Launcher, Fortnite, and HWmonitor. For HWmonitor however, it still launches. For Epic Games Launcher, same thing happened previously but I was able to fix it because it detected a similar file in my D drive (the HDD I have) (this might have been possible with League and Steam too but I didn't read, oops). The Fortnite one was gone though, currently repairing it. I think more icons may disappear and I don't know what's causing it. What I'm thinking is that the shortcut is on my ssd and the app is in my hdd and it's causing problems or something. I'm a PC noob so I don't really know much. Any ideas or solutions?

Solution
It appear you system is suffering from System or User profile corruption or both.
Create a new user account and see if you have the same issue.

If the issue is only present on your account then try this
-Press Window + X keys on your keyboard and select Command Prompt (Admin)
-Type DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and press Enter.
It may take several minutes for the operation to be completed, since Windows Update will get the files that are required to fix corrupted files.
-Type sfc /scannow and press Enter. This command will scan all protected system files, and replace corrupted files. So wait until the verification is 100% complete. Reboot
If you get the message: Windows Resource Protection could...
It appear you system is suffering from System or User profile corruption or both.
Create a new user account and see if you have the same issue.

If the issue is only present on your account then try this
-Press Window + X keys on your keyboard and select Command Prompt (Admin)
It may take several minutes for the operation to be completed, since Windows Update will get the files that are required to fix corrupted files.
-Type sfc /scannow and press Enter. This command will scan all protected system files, and replace corrupted files. So wait until the verification is 100% complete. Reboot
If you get the message: Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation, the run sfc /scannow in Safe Mode.
-Open command prompt as admin by pressing Window + X keys on your keyboard and selecting Command Prompt (Admin).
- Type DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth and press Enter.
-Type Exit, and then press Enter.

Solution
try this
run a cmd prompt as admin
then run these commands (i put this in a batch file)

taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
del IconCache.db /a
start explorer.exe

that will rebuild your icon cache, see if that fixes you. If it does not, see the post above me and try that.