We notice fairly recently that whenever we are online for several hours and
then closed AOL9 Optimized that little 'white boxes' are shown in the place
of the the regular program desktop icons (with the regular program names
underneath). Within a 1/2 second the regular program icons replace the 'white
boxes' that are there. This replacement of the regular icons happens quite
quickly. This also happens sometimes when we open the Control Panel.
Does anyone know what is causing this and if it is a serious problem? We are
senior citizens living on small monthly income and cannot afford to purchase
another notebook. We have notebook, P4, 3.06ghz, 512 ran, 60 HD, WinXPsp2,
AOL9 Optimized, IE6. We've had notebook for about 2-3 years. Any help would
be appreciated.
(My husband is now in hospital and I don't know if he posted this question
already somewhere else.)

Alice, what you see is not indicative of a significant problem. The computer
is basically trying to catch up with itself. This lag could be due to the
computer memory being fully utilized or the processor performing several
tasks at once. Unless overall performance is lagging, you likely have
nothing to worry about, especially as pertains to the computer hardware
itself.
Hope your husband is doing well and comes home soon.