Desktop Internet speed slow all of a sudden?

HCSn

Honorable
Dec 2, 2014
I live in a dorm at a University, and have been having problems with the internet today. Yesterday, the internet was fine, download speeds probably ~30Mbps (not great, but certainly usable). Today, I think my genius roommate drunkenly unplugged the modem and router on accident, as when I got back from classes the internet was not working at all, and I discovered they were unplugged. At first when I plugged them back in, the internet did not work at all. After around 30 minutes of unplugging and restarting, the internet started working again. On my laptop (what I'm using now-a regular MacBook air) the speed is as normal, ~30Mbps download speeds. On my desktop, however, the speeds won't go above 1Mbps. My desktop is one that I built myself, and have really had very few problems, if any, with.

The wireless adapter I use for the desktop is a NETGEAR WNA3100. Again, yesterday the internet on it was perfectly fine. Now, after all these shenanigans, the desktop internet speeds are essentially unusable for anything other than looking at text. The service provider is Time Warner. I am using Windows 8.1 on the desktop.

What do I need to do to fix this?

Thanks.

HCSn

Honorable
Dec 2, 2014

I've tried rebooting multiple times and unplugging the adapter as well as uninstalling and reinstalling the driver. Still have not seen download speeds above 3Mbps which is over 20Mbps lower than I usually see, and that much lower than what I'm seeing on my laptop.

HCSn

Honorable
Dec 2, 2014

I don't have any cables here and I actually haven't installed an ethernet port in my desktop. I also don't have the resources to get any of these things, or a new wireless adapter. I can't think of any reason there would be such a difference after one day. I'm probably just out of luck here.