Question Desktop/Laptop/Any PC/ How does one install a sim card port for the purpose of establishing an internet connection through mobile provider

Jul 18, 2022
Desktop/Laptop/Any PC/ How does one install a sim card port for the purpose of establishing an internet connection through mobile provider

I cannot even find a dealer for anything other than a plug in usb adapter, which would be fine but they do not seem to be fit for this purpose of using the sim for internet.

Every time i find a post about something i'm asking and there is a tom's hardware thread about it on google you guys always have awesome answers so i have come here for awesome solutions.

I know that it would vary by motherboard but can anyone point me towards a dealer of the ports themselves newegg doesn't seem to have them

OldSurferDude

Reputable
May 18, 2019
I used to do this with a mobile hot spot. Last time I tried to used my phone as one, as @egda23 suggested, I found that my provider throttled me down to a whopping 0.1Mbs, which is pretty useless. UPDATE! I just tried again and got 38Mbps down and 6Mbps up. TMobile "offers" a home internet connection over the G5 network, which is what you would like, but it expects you to always be at the same place. And, you'll see, if you follow the link, that you'll be put on a wait-list, meaning that the service is way over-subscribed and/or doesn't work well even for the low standards of a cell service company.

Last edited:
I used to do this with a mobile hot spot. Last time I tried to use my phone as one, as @egda23 suggested, I found that my provider throttled me down to a whopping 0.1Mbs, which is pretty useless. TMobile "offers" a home internet connection over the G5 network, which is what you would like, but it expects you to always be at the same place. And, if you'll see if you follow the link, that you'll be put on a wait-list, meaning that the service is way over-subscribed and/or doesn't work well even for the low standards of a cell service company.
That very much depends where the OP is situated.
I have never seen this throtteling problem in Europe as long as you are inside the amount of data included in the plan you are paying for.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Jul 18, 2022
Many Android smartphones (as m'y OnePlus 8) can be used as a wifi hotspot or by usb tethering to share a mobile connection.
Simple and efficient.
But then there is this

Thank you all this has been very helpful very cool forum, i'm trying to set up a sort of streamer squad car - just for video capture, not actual online interaction, that would be probably illegal