Question desktop microphone for use without headphones?

DeumBelli

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2014
i was looking into getting a microphone i can use without wearing headphones that wont pick up the game audio from speakers or my keyboard clicks. i dont know much about mics and some people said it could catch a lot of noise from my games/keyboard so i wanted to make sure i wont waste money or that i get the right microphone. so i figured i would get some advice before buying some random mic. i will be using it pretty much just to talk in voice chats like discord and i would really like the option to be able to use a mic without wearing a headset/headphones.

im not looking to spend a whole lot of money, maybe around 100 dollars, if possible having an arm i can use to mount it to my desk would be ideal considering if it has to stand on my desk it will be sitting in front one of my monitors.

Ralston18

Titan
There are subjective considerations regarding how much background noise is acceptable or how your voice may sound to others, etc..

Then practical considerations such as desktop room for microphone, floor stand, and cable connections/paths.

FYI:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/26898/the-how-to-geek-guide-to-computer-microphones/

Read the article and then do some additional researching/googling to delve into additional details as necessary.

And take a look at the Home Audio Category within this Forum.

You may find more information and ideas there as well.

I would not use external speakers if you are going to be using a mic, use headphones. Even omnidirectional mics will pick up extra sound.

I use a Blu Snowball (the higher end one that can be directional), and a mechanical keyboard, no issues with the keyboard noise bothering anyone. It just sits on the desk without a stand, does not get in the way of the screen.