[SOLVED] Desktop not starting up after CPU install

May 16, 2020
So I installed a used CPU after installing bios update from Asus, the CPU is compatible with mobo. I started it up and it went to bios after recognising new CPU everything seemed ok and then it restarted and shutdown and won't start up again, it starts up for a brief second then shuts down every so often it starts up but I can't access bios it just runs if that makes sense. I've tried to reset the CMOS with switching the jumper etc, I've got the mother board out of case doesn't make a difference I've left the battery out as it's probably dead however I don't think it would matter? The old CPU doesn't change anything either. Just wondering if anyone could shed any light on this whether it's the PSU or any other hardware that's conflicting with it or what a possible solution would be? Asus P8Z68V-LX. i5 3750. 500w PSU

Solution
Can try to do a clear cmos when taken of the power completely. Can also take the motherboard battery out for about 5min. and see if this will do better than shorting the pins. Might be good to buy a new battery since the motherboard is pretty old.
May 16, 2020
Maybe bent a pin in the socket when changin the cpu, can check that.

Tried a clear cmos?

Thanks for the reply Vic,

I got my magnifying glass out and looked over CPU socket all seemed fine no misaligned pins or unwanted material. I moved the jumper around as advised by my MOBO manual I assume that would clear the CMOS, unless there is another way of doing it? I also inserted a new 2032 battery just in case. I am going to buy a new PSU this Friday as the one I was using is over 10 years old and see if that eliminates the problem. I've looked on other threads similar to this issue and it seems that it could appear to be a MOBO issue.

I bought this CPU used from eBay and when it went on to the bios I noted it was outputting 3800mhz which was highlighted in yellow but thought nothing of it and some old MOBO's only handle up to 3500mhz? is it possible for a CPU to maintain previous overclocking configurations of some kind?

Thanks.

May 16, 2020
No a cpu doesn't remember an overclock, the motherboard might.

You did take the pc of the power when doing the clear cmos?

Maybe a new psu wil help, it certainly is a good choice after using the same one for 10 years.

Ok well that's good to know. I did initially have the power off... however I was advised after a video I watched that you could change the jumper while the power was on so when it powered up I did so which sort of created a short then it started it up a few times but its intermittently not consistently, but no signal on screen still.

Last edited:
May 16, 2020
Can try to do a clear cmos when taken of the power completely. Can also take the motherboard battery out for about 5min. and see if this will do better than shorting the pins. Might be good to buy a new battery since the motherboard is pretty old.

Ive tried that Vic + new battery, thanks though.

I thought my PSU was 500w all this time turns out its 800w lol oh well Its an EZ cool 800w ATX PSU im going to invest in a Aero cool 750w Modular one hopefully it'll make everything work.
If not looks like a new mobo, cpu and memory sticks. I doubt ill be able to get an old 3rd generation Intel mobo anywhere !?! unless its some worn out over priced piece of crap from eBay with a corrupted bios.

Any ideas where i could get a new or good quality 3rd gen mobo would be appreciated?

May 16, 2020
Please no Aerocool psu. You have other options?

from this shop I was going to go too the options are Game max, Aerocool, and some budget CIT one for £18 - I was aware to avoid cheap PSU's. I wasn't aware that Aerocool were that bad? although I have no experience with brands. What would you advise for a PSU around £40 - £60? Thanks.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
May 16, 2020
Yes I did notice that the RTX2060 seems superior to the 1050ti, I really appreciate the assistance. ill have a look and see where I can source a corsair vengeance from locally if not ill go online. and ill let you know if it works with the current mobo etc.

Much appreciated thanks for the help.