Question Desktop not switching on

garvind25

Honorable
Sep 24, 2016
Hi,

I have a desktop with core 2 quad processor, gigabyte g 41- m combo motherboard, Toshiba 1 TB enterprise HDD and 4 GB DDR 2 RAM. A few days back, on opening multiple Google Chrome tabs, the temperature of the processor started spiking to 90-95 degree celcius (the ambient temperature is 30-35 degree celcius). Then the HDD also started squeaking once a while and the system hanged for a few seconds before becoming normal again. I checked the HDD with Toshiba's HDD testing utility and my HDD passed the test.

Suddenly while using the PC the next day, it went dead. I opened the system and manually tried to switch on the SMPS by shorting it's green wire and a black wire on the 24 pin connector. The SMPS started working. I could even measure the various voltages on its connectors through a multi-meter. I next opened the heat sink of the procesor and applied thermal paste on it before putting it back on its place. I then reassembled all the clables on the motherboard and HDD.

Switching on the system, I can now see that both the SMPS fan and processor fan start running but there is no display on the monitor. After a few seconds of starting the PC, it is shutting down with a squeak sound and then restarting itself. Basically it is continuously looping from on to off to on condition. I checked the HDD connectors to ensure it does not have any loose connections.

What could be the reason for no display and continuous on-off self looping? Is the SMPS not able to supply to the PC or is it a symptom of motherboard/ processor failure? There is no beeping sound after the PC auto restarts.

I look forward to your advice.

Thanks and Regards,
Arvind Gupta

garvind25

Honorable
Sep 24, 2016
Hard to say, really. Usually no post/no display is a motherboard problem but it can be a PSU problem although more rarely.

Great news! The PC just started working. I randomly removed both the RAM DIMMs, cleaned its connectors with an eraser and plugged them back. The PC started working!

So I am back to the original issue of CPU overheating. Someone was telling me that the processor can be under volted and under clocked for reducing the temperature. If so, pls tell me step by step how to do so. I am on Windows 7 with Q6600 processor.

Also do tell me the safe values of under volting and under clocking.

Awaiting your response

Great news! The PC just started working. I randomly removed both the RAM DIMMs, cleaned its connectors with an eraser and plugged them back. The PC started working!

So I am back to the original issue of CPU overheating. Someone was telling me that the processor can be under volted and under clocked for reducing the temperature. If so, pls tell me step by step how to do so. I am on Windows 7 with Q6600 processor.

Also do tell me the safe values of under volting and under clocking.

Awaiting your response
if this overheating is a new thing i would check the cooler rather than undervolting.did you clean the old paste off the heatsink?how did you apply the paste,and check that the cooler is screwed down level.is the cooler fan running?

garvind25

Honorable
Sep 24, 2016
if this overheating is a new thing i would check the cooler rather than undervolting.did you clean the old paste off the heatsink?how did you apply the paste,and check that the cooler is screwed down level.is the cooler fan running?
Well, the heating/ overheating takes place every summer. This time it's a little more (due to work from home, I need to open 8-10 Google Chrome tabs at once; something I didn't have to do previously).

Regarding the relating issue, I had cleaned the copper surface of the heat sink with a cloth, scraped away whatever thermal paste was remaining on the processor, applied little heat sink paste on the heat sink only, tightly plugged back the heat sink on the processor screwing the four locks in position. Presently the cabinet panel is open and I can see it's fan spinning properly. I even softly touched the heat sink and tried to shake it; it was firm.

there are a lot of variables here,like what case do you have,and how many fans and their placement.to be clear tho,has this overheating always taken place?i suspect the cooler is the stock one?its kinda hard to be more specific with an older machine like that.more questions than answers im afraid.just a thought tho.try keeping the side cover off it and have a fan blowing into it.if that helps then i woud suspect poor airflow in the case or you just might need a better cooler.what is the temp of the room its in?

Last edited:

garvind25

Honorable
Sep 24, 2016
there are a lot of variables here,like what case do you have,and how many fans and their placement.to be clear tho,has this overheating always taken place?i suspect the cooler is the stock one?its kinda hard to be more specific with an older machine like that.more questions than answers im afraid.just a thought tho.try keeping the side cover off it and have a fan blowing into it.if that helps then i woud suspect poor airflow in the case or you just might need a better cooler.what is the temp of the room its in?
Yes, it is the stock heat sink-fan which came with the processor. The temperature is spiking to 90-95 °C even when I keep the side panel open. The room temperature would be about 30-35 °C. In general, I have a big sized case with a fan on the side panel to blow air on top of the processor's heat sink (when the side panel is closed).

Lets pls try with under volting and under clocking technique. I am new to it and it's difficult to search the correct method with a phone.

TRENDING THREADS