Question desktop on ethernet (powerline) and laptop on wifi (powerline->extender) slow speed and detection only by ip

patrickdrd

Prominent
Oct 23, 2017
hello,

before yesterday both my desktop and the laptop were connected using ethernet cable (using powerline adapters) and
it could detect each other and the transfer speed was 10mb/s,

but I needed to setup wifi on the room the laptop is,
so I removed the ethernet cable from the laptop and
I connected it to an extender / access point,
so the laptop now connects via wifi

I noticed that two problems arose with the new setup:
1) the transfer speed dropped to half (5mb/s),
which I think is equal to my internet speed (vdsl 50)

2) also, I can no longer detect my desktop with its name,
while I can detect it with its ip

can anybody help me?

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is that there is a duplicate IP address being created.

What make and model router and access point do you have? Do you have the applicable User Guides/Manuals?

When you configured the access point did you assign it a static IP address reserved for the access point on the router? The reservation should be set up by using the access point's MAC.

And on the router, the assigned static IP address for the access point must be outside of the DHCP IP range permitted to the router.

Use the router's admin functions to view all currently assigned IP addresses and the devices connected using that IP address. (And remember that DHCP IP addresses can and do change.)

Also, on each computer and any other network device (NAS, printer, etc..) look for and check what IP address the device is using or configured to use. (Could be a default IP and causing a conflict.

On the computer's you can use "ipconfig/ all" (without quotes") to view current network configuration settings including the IP address being used.

patrickdrd

Prominent
Oct 23, 2017
good point, both my computers have static ips,
my dhcp is till 192.168.2.13,
so my laptop is 192.168.2.13 and my desktop 192.168.2.12,
I went on and assigned a static ip for the access point too,
I assigned the 192.168.2.11

it doesn't solve the problem though,
I still can't ping it for start

I'm also running windows firewall on both machines and
kaspersky free,
also the dns client service is disabled in both because I have a large hosts file and it's causing problems

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS