Question Desktop PC got slow all of a sudden, Now everything (Apps, Games, etc.) are all take incredibly long loading times. Do I need to replace my Harddrive?

Oct 23, 2022
Hey Guys,

I have a Desktop with Dual OS (Windows 7 & 10). It was working fine a month ago. Until one day it took more than 15 minutes to boot. Afterwards it performed as usual. But it was getting slower every day. Games that ran smoothly now take long times to load and get stuck while playing. Besides games PC performance has also dropped significantly. It takes 10-20 minutes to unzip a 4gb file and the screen freezes if I try to open more than one application at a time. It got worse to the point it was

I did a virus scan, which detected some treats but it didn't fix the problem. Two weeks ago after doing a CHKDSK in safe mode, virus scan, unplugging all hardware and replugging them, I managed to get it working. Booting still take time to load and games have long loading times but at least it was working.

Unfortunately, this week the problems worsened. I cannot boot Windows 10 anymore it gets stuck in the Blackscreen with the cursor. Only windows 7 works and that is also lagging. I tried everything, is my hard drive failing or is the RAM or something else. Please help.

My Specs:

Intel Core i5 @ 3.00 GHz
Ram 16GB DDR4 (8 x 2)
Hard Disk Toshiba SATA Harddrive 500gb
Graphic Card 1060 GTX 6gb

Reactions: jnjnilson6
Hey Guys,

I have a Desktop with Dual OS (Windows 7 & 10). It was working fine a month ago. Until one day it took more than 15 minutes to boot. Afterwards it performed as usual. But it was getting slower every day. Games that ran smoothly now take long times to load and get stuck while playing. Besides games PC performance has also dropped significantly. It takes 10-20 minutes to unzip a 4gb file and the screen freezes if I try to open more than one application at a time. It got worse to the point it was

I did a virus scan, which detected some treats but it didn't fix the problem. Two weeks ago after doing a CHKDSK in safe mode, virus scan, unplugging all hardware and replugging them, I managed to get it working. Booting still take time to load and games have long loading times but at least it was working.

Unfortunately, this week the problems worsened. I cannot boot Windows 10 anymore it gets stuck in the Blackscreen with the cursor. Only windows 7 works and that is also lagging. I tried everything, is my hard drive failing or is the RAM or something else. Please help.

My Specs:

Intel Core i5 @ 3.00 GHz
Ram 16GB DDR4 (8 x 2)
Hard Disk Toshiba SATA Harddrive 500gb
Graphic Card 1060 GTX 6gb
First mistake, W7 and 10 on same dis, any changes, errors or updates on one can also influence the other one, it's best to have them on separate disks if you really, really need both.
Black screen with the cursor means that BOOTfiles are not found.