[SOLVED] Desktop PC is not receiving data through network switch ?

devinascension

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
I've got an issue with connecting my Windows 10 desktop PC to my router via a switch. When I couple the cables that lead to the router and the switch at the network box directly, I get no issues and the connection is stable. However, when I add the switch (a Ubiquiti USW Flex Mini) my desktop does not see the network at all. I've verified that the issue is with my computer, as I have tried using two other switches (a TP-Link and a Netgear, both unmanaged, the Ubiquiti is managed), and still cannot seem to connect. I also cannot connect the Ubiquiti switch via UniFi. I have been able to connect to the Internet using two other computers, a Macbook Pro and another Win 10 laptop.

As far as I can tell:
  • DHCP is enabled and the computer in question does receive an IP address on both the wireless and wired networks (it is shown in the DHCP client list of my router, a Linksys AX5400 Wi-Fi Router E9450).
  • I have checked here and here.
  • I have checked the logs, there is a 0x79 error for the LAN NIC
  • I have tried to apply a static IP address both inside and outside the DHCP range of the router to no avail.
  • I have tried disabling Windows Firewall and nothing happened.
  • When I try to ping the LAN NIC or the switch through WI-FI on the same computer, I get back "Destination host unreachable". Which makes sense to me because I can't ping anything when WI-FI is off.
  • The same thing happens on another laptop while on WI-FI. (This laptop was able to connect to the Internet when it was connected on the switch.)
  • The cables are intact.
The following text is my result from running ipconfig /all:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-LIN7QMV
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-D8-61-D4-8D-28
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter vEthernet (Default Switch):

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-5D-00-9D-EE
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::8890:5518:bd01:bb69%50(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.25.240.1(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.240.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 838866269
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-27-7C-45-62-00-D8-61-D4-8D-28
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #3
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : CC-D9-AC-85-B2-FA

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #4
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : CE-D9-AC-85-B2-F9
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260 160MHz
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : CC-D9-AC-85-B2-F9
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c9d5:8a98:4b7d:fda9%8(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.16(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, August 26, 2022 9:55:05 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, August 27, 2022 10:01:33 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 718068140
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-27-7C-45-62-00-D8-61-D4-8D-28
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

If there's any more information that is needed, just feel free to ask.

Solution
Ran out of time before school started. I was unable to get the switch to work like I want it to and ended up returning it. I will mark this thread as solved for now but may open it back up or make a new continuation thread when I get more time.
So first I assume the ipconfig you put in the post is when it is running on the wifi and you have no ethernet connection. It says the ethernet is disconnected which generally means there is no cable or the cable is not connected to anything.
What is also strange is you have a virtual ethernet adapter that I think is used when you run virtual machines in windows....not sure but do you know how that got there and if you can delete it to test.

What you tend to see is the ethernet port if it is functional will be in some kind of connected state but just not work. This connected/disconnected state is very basic and relies on voltages and signal levels more than software. This is pretty much the same as you plug it into a switch and see if you get any lights. That is a far different problem than if it comes up but you don't say get ip addresses or there is some other software blocking traffic.

Ubiquiti stuff is great but it also can be very complex especially for non IT type of people. Since your pc also does it on other switches it is not likely the ubiquiti device. You could I guess reset the ubiquiti to factory settings. Many ubiquiti switches have stuff like vlan support or methods to restrict access via mac and other stuff that if you configure it wrong will break stuff. BUT you would still see the port in a connected state.

What I would first try is a different ethernet cable. If you have a defective cable or one of the fake ethernet cables being sold they can work on some devices and not others. You want nothing special it can be cat5e unless cat6 is cheaper.
Key though to avoiding fake cables is to buy cable that says it is pure copper (no cca) and has wire size 22-24 (none of that flat or thin cable). If you do not see this information in the ad look at a different provider, all the good cable sellers know about fake cable and make it a point to show you that their cable actually meets the requirements to be a certified cable.

devinascension

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
So first I assume the ipconfig you put in the post is when it is running on the wifi and you have no ethernet connection. It says the ethernet is disconnected which generally means there is no cable or the cable is not connected to anything.
What is also strange is you have a virtual ethernet adapter that I think is used when you run virtual machines in windows....not sure but do you know how that got there and if you can delete it to test.

What you tend to see is the ethernet port if it is functional will be in some kind of connected state but just not work. This connected/disconnected state is very basic and relies on voltages and signal levels more than software. This is pretty much the same as you plug it into a switch and see if you get any lights. That is a far different problem than if it comes up but you don't say get ip addresses or there is some other software blocking traffic.

Ubiquiti stuff is great but it also can be very complex especially for non IT type of people. Since your pc also does it on other switches it is not likely the ubiquiti device. You could I guess reset the ubiquiti to factory settings. Many ubiquiti switches have stuff like vlan support or methods to restrict access via mac and other stuff that if you configure it wrong will break stuff. BUT you would still see the port in a connected state.

What I would first try is a different ethernet cable. If you have a defective cable or one of the fake ethernet cables being sold they can work on some devices and not others. You want nothing special it can be cat5e unless cat6 is cheaper.
Key though to avoiding fake cables is to buy cable that says it is pure copper (no cca) and has wire size 22-24 (none of that flat or thin cable). If you do not see this information in the ad look at a different provider, all the good cable sellers know about fake cable and make it a point to show you that their cable actually meets the requirements to be a certified cable.

I'm answering this on my phone, so bear with me.

You are correct. The ipconfig I posted is from the desktop while on WiFi, and yes, the ethernet port shows it is not connected, however, there is a physical cable there. I will double check my connection to the switch and to the router.
I know there is a virtual adapter, I turned it on to run a virtual machine not too long ago but never bothered to turn off the adapter. I will check and see if turning it off changes anything but I doubt that is my problem.

The physical connection is as follows:

PC <----> Switch <----> Router

When I verify the power and transfer lights on each device when everything is connected and running, I see no lights at all; except on the switch. The switch shows that all ports are working as they should. However, when any other device is plugged into the switch, there is no issue with that device. I can see that the desktop is listed as a valid device on the DHCP router table (over both wireless and LAN) but network LAN traffic won't get through.

The Ubiquiti switch is brand new, so there shouldn't be any issues with it. Like I said, though, I have yet to be able to manage the switch via UniFi to see if there are any underlying issues I have yet to notice. I can try to factory reset but I don't know if that will do much of anything because the switch has yet to be adopted to the network.

I can't really "change the cable" because I have cat5e cable running through the walls of my house that was originally acting as phone line. I can change the cables that go from the wall to the router and the desktop but remember that the connection works properly when the router and desktop are connected directly.
And yes, the lines in the walls all have proper connections, I terminated them myself. I can check again as a last resort.

Also - if you want to use wired ethernet, then disable wifi adapter.
With wifi and ethernet adapters both connected to same network you'll get packet loss.
I understand that; however, when I turn off or disable the WiFi adapter, nothing changes. Whenever I connect a device via LAN, I turn off WiFi so as to not run into any issues.

devinascension

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
Ran out of time before school started. I was unable to get the switch to work like I want it to and ended up returning it. I will mark this thread as solved for now but may open it back up or make a new continuation thread when I get more time.

Solution