Question Desktop PC not POSTing anymore. Trying to identify the culprit.

Nov 19, 2022
Hello there, and thanks for taking the time to help me out!

I've got a ~6 year old desktop pc which I build with a friend once upon a time. When I turned it on last week it suddenly just would not POST anymore.
LED turn on, Storage-HDDs start spinning, Mainboard-LED lights up, all for about three seconds, and then everything goes out again.

I removed the GPU, reset the CMOS battery, reseated the RAM, switched the RAM slots (2x 8 GB), tried a different PSU. Nothing worked.

SOMETIMES it posts (after switching the ram stick around), boots into Windows, and after ~3 minutes max it shuts down completely again!

I disassembled everything and reassembled in on a table with only the basic components -> exactly the same. Does not POST most of the time, and if it does, which it rarely does, shuts down very soon automatically.

I'm not sure what component is to blame. I think it's the mainboard, but the average lifetime is supposed to be 10-20 years. And the fact that it sometimes boots correctly after shifting components around (RAM)... I don't know.

How am I even supposed to proceed. Buy a new Motherboard? Try something else?

I appreciate any input!

Not sure what PSU you tested with, but if it's a good quality one, and if the RAM sticks are not corrupted, it pretty much comes down to the main board or CPU(unlikely) from your account. I would say, run it through a store, and they would have plenty of spares and/or substitutes to test it with for confirmation.

Nov 19, 2022
Not sure what PSU you tested with, but if it's a good quality one, and if the RAM sticks are not corrupted, it pretty much comes down to the main board or CPU(unlikely) from your account. I would say, run it through a store, and they would have plenty of spares and/or substitutes to test it with for confirmation.
Pretty unlikely that both ram sticks go bad at the same time I'd say. It's just a random PSU from amazon, some no-name stuff. I'd prefer if it's the motherboard and not the CPU.I'm just wondering if it's worth replacing the motherboard in the first place, when all the components are already quite old. But maybe the pc runs another five years with it. Ty!

TRENDING THREADS