Desktop PC wireless card changing between 2 routers (Windows 7)

m4rski

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
Hi Forum. I am new here.

I am trying to set up a wireless network throughout our home, but one issue is bothering me more than any other right now.

---I recently purchased a wireless 802.11N Rosewill PCI wireless card for my Desktop PC.
It works great! Except for when using Windows 7, I will notice my Wi-Fi signal will go from 5 bars to about 3 bars. This tells me that the wireless card decided to change to another router in my home for some reason.

I have 3 routers in my home so far. They all use the same settings, from encryption to SSID. I finally connected an Access Point router directly to our main router next to the modem in order to get a better signal in my room. But, I also set up a 3rd router downstairs, in which this 3rd router is about the same distance maybe from the 2nd Access Point router. The 2nd router has a much faster connection at about 25mbps download speed from online speed tests, whereas this 3rd router I used to cover the rest of the house has a much slower rate of data at around 4-5mbps download.

Since my 2nd router apparently has such a better signal with a full 5 bars, and the 3rd router has only 3 bars of signal, why would my Desktop PC's wireless card switch between routers without notice.

It means a difference of downloading real-time data at 2.5 - 3mbps, vs just 800kbps - 1mbps.

The reason I bought the wireless N card was so I could achieve our full ISP download speeds, which are 25mbps/5mbps.

I could easily disconnect my 3rd router obviously, but then the other side of the house would be cut off without the extra router's signal.

Does anyone know HOW to keep my wireless card on one router only in Windows 7, so I won't have to deal with the constant/random changing of router selection, resulting in slower Wi-Fi speeds for my Desktop PC?

Thank you so much. I thought it couldn't hurt to ask this. Someone must know an answer, and I tried scouring the internet for answers with little relief!

m4rski

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
Thanks for reply!

Do you mean in the Device Manager for the wireless driver? Otherwise I am not sure how to access the wireless driver on Windows 7. The wireless card has an optional Ralink software to configure wireless settings, but nothing that would tell the wireless card to stick to one particular router!

Also, my 3rd router is slower since it is connected to a Wall Adapter with ethernet. That's really all I could do for the spot since the router is very far away from the main router/modem location in our home. Until I find a way to get wireless repeating to work or WDS. I even bought a 4th TP-LINK router to see if it is any better.

Cheers

Either through device manager or network settings. I'll have to look; I'm not on a Windows PC currently.

It doesn't lock it to a particular WAP, but it makes it less likely to move between them.

The RaLink drivers might or might not have the setting, but it's not part of an extra software package. It's part of the driver itself; your WiFi won't work without it.

I'm guessing your PC can't be connected via Ethernet.

m4rski

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
OK. Device Manager has the wireless card and in the Advanced Settings has a Roaming Sensitivity property that goes from Lowest to Highest, or Disable altogether. It appears that it was on Low, so I changed it to Disabled. That is most likely what you were referring to.

This has to be a good solution and I did not think of it after being a Windows user for a long time.

I might reinstall Ralink's software, but I didn't seem to need it, and Windows 7's Wi-Fi software works just fine.

Thanks again. I will see if the signal changes at all. I am playing a PC game still late this night :)

m4rski

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
The faster router I want to connect to is probably just 10 ft closer than the slower AP router. All my routers are Netgear wireless N 2.4GHz 300mbps.

But, yes my Ethernet port works of course. I have used that since 2008 when I built the custom Desktop PC. I always wanted a wireless card to connect to the router. I do not know why I waited so long.
I always needed an Ethernet Wall Adapter since the modem/router is not in my room. It was a neat solution, but only gives me maximum 8mb down, 5mb up.

Just the constant router switching was driving me up the wall. THANK YOU Someone Somewhere!!

m4rski

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
Sure I will click the button soon. I notice throughout the day when the router changes. I'm always in and out of my room from college and other stuff.
This seems like a worthy solution. I have high hopes!

I did a bunch of research for routers and using them as Access Points. I have them using separate channels; 1, 6, 11. The standard to use for 2.4GHz wireless N.

Good. Far too many people have all on channel one, 40MHz, and wonder why they're getting interference.

One other thing: if you're not in the US, channel 13 might be allowed. If so, use channels 1, 5, 9, and 13. This way, you can bond two of the channels to have a 40MHz channel and two 20MHz, no overlaps.

m4rski

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
Not working! While it seemed that this was working throughout the day, the Wi-Fi signal is now down to 3 bars again with a slow 5mb down.

Any other suggestions under Device Manager? Under Advanced properties includes: Adhoc support 802.11n, Country Region (2.4GHz) and (5GHz), IEEE802.11h, Multimedia/Gaming Environment, Radio On/Off, and lastly the Roaming Sensitivity which we tried already.

Thanks. I do live in the USA by the way.

m4rski

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
OK. Thanks for your help and quick responses, even just your last one was within 8 minutes!

I will keep looking however. I still have to try and set up my new TP-Link TL-WR841N router that I just received by Newegg. Maybe I can use wireless repeater function to connect to the 2nd Access Point, thus getting the faster data rate and it won't matter if my Desktop wireless card auto switches between routers then. I had issues using the repeater/client mode for the Netgear routers, which is the reason I still have the 3rd slower router connected to a Wall Adapter with Ethernet connection.

I'll be back.

m4rski

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
Update.

After setting up the TP-Link TL-WR841N router in our family room, which has WDS enabled, I am getting pretty good signals and speed throughout the rest of our home that originally had slow speeds! Of course with WDS enabled, our 25-30mbps download speeds are cut in half, but the Wi-Fi speed tests I get from an app on iPhone 5 show getting anywhere from 15-20mbps down connected to the TP-Link router. The speed test on my Desktop PC with the new wireless N card now gets ~24mbps down, so I don't think the new TP-Link TL-WR841N router is conflicting with the ethernet-connected AP (router #2) close to my room. The new TP-Link router in the family room is about 10 feet farther away than AP router #2.

I am happy with the speeds and believe WDS is the best way to attain the fastest speeds with best range as well with the way our house is designed. If it matters our place is around 6400 sq ft, so it has been a huge challenge for me as a college student to find the right equipment, at the right price, with the correct configurations, and put in the most ideal spots so the routers won't be too close to one another.

*** I know my topic question was about 2 different routers conflicting with the wireless N card on my Desktop PC, but this was the other side to the issue. ***

So, all I need now is to cover the 4-car garage with an AP router probably connected by a wall-adapter w/ ethernet since the new WDS-enabled router doesn't reach all the way to the garage's end.

Unless, I was thinking, maybe even the BEST and MOST OBVIOUS solution that I should have thought of from the start.
Can't I simply use the new (WDS) TP-Link router with a different SSID? While still receiving and transmitting it's own signal from the 2nd AP router?

Such as just putting a '2' at the end of the SSID of the new router so it will not conflict with my wireless N Desktop PC card. As I understand, and after reading tons of information online, I would have to sign into the slightly altered SSID just once with maybe the same password, but wouldn't the PC, and iPhones as well treat the new SSID with a 2 at the end as a different source altogether?

This would be good since we would know which routers we were connected to and I can theoretically prevent my PC wireless card from connecting to the slower WDS-enabled router. Just disconnect from SSID'2' and only have it connect to the regular SSID. I think I can tell Windows 7 to "ignore" the new SSID'2', for I must have a constant Wi-Fi connection to 1 router only!

I may do the same when I put the AP router in the garage for more coverage there. I'm not sure though if a WDS-enabled router with the altered SSID'2' can work in tandem with a router that is much farther away that acts as an Access Point with ethernet connected. They should both have the same SSID'2' and switch from one another seamlessly within range, like all routers do within the same SSID do correct?
The garage router, which is maybe ~4mbps at the end plugged into the wall socket, may also interfere with my Desktop PC wireless card since it should be in range and I clearly don't want that speed! Unless, this garage-located router, which is a Netgear WNR200 v3 router, has WDS feature I could connect it to the TP-Link WDS enabled router, or maybe I can install DD-WRT on the Netgear WNR200 v3 and have it act a a wireless bridge or client bridge. I am still confused about the difference. Then the internet speed would technically be 1/4 of our ISP speed after having a repeater router connect to another repeater (WDS TP-Link router).

I still need more time with this setup. I may have time tomorrow if it permits me. I would love to have Wi-Fi with the best speed and range throughout our home!

I may have repeated myself a little here. Sorry, it is late here in CA. I must sleep!
Thanks for your help. :) :)

m4rski

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
Someone Somewhere:

"Nothing, sorry.

Only thing is to set the slow WAP to a different SSID, or to run ethernet around.

Other possibility is to see if your main WAP can do dual band operation."

I forgot entirely that you had posted about the recommendation of changing SSIDs. Sounds like a good plan!