Question Desktop PC won't boot, nothing happens except HDD light blink and GPU light - busted PSU or motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabbitcfh

Honorable
Mar 15, 2014
Hello, I've been having a slight issue with my PC since yesterday - when I try to power it up, almost nothing happens: it doesn't start, there's no power light, no fans running - except the red HDD light blinking once for a split second (not every time though) and the white light on the GPU being on (but it's on constantly when I turn on the power socket even if the PC is off so not sure if it's relevant).

I replaced the CMOS battery on the motherboard but it didn't help. I switched the power off on the PSU for about 15 mins and tried again and this time the PC booted (though I turned it back off as I had to plug everything back in and close the case, etc.), but I haven't been able to replicate it since then.

It's a self-assembled PC and I've had it for over 5 years without any issues. It's an MSI Z87-G45 motherboard and an EVGA Supernova 750W 80+ Gold PSU, with a GeForce GTX 1060 and a Core i5-4670k.

Is it likely to be the PSU's fault or is the motherboard broken down? I would rather not test the PSU with a multimeter. I know it's not a faulty power socket or cable as they work with other appliances.

Thanks.

EDIT: It was the PSU. Replacing it fixed the issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.