Question Desktop Price Too Good To Be True?

Feb 15, 2019
The below specs for $1,099 seem rather incredible. It has been ~8-10 years since my last desktop. Looking for some higher end specs for light graphic design and to somewhat future proof (and some VR). I am not ultra proficient with computer hardware, though I know, for example, the difference between SSD and HDD, how memory and processors work and probably spend way too much time researching.

For the price, this seems almost too good a value based on other similar desktop configurations from other brands. Now, when I reveal that these specs are from an Acer, does that immediately color your opinion? My research of online tech sites and various message boards seems to conclude that Acer is budget friendly because of "cheaper" components and Acer brand laptops and desktops seem to typically receive middling and okay reviews. However, PC Mag's 2018 Readers Choice Awards has Acer rated pretty high overall in customer satisfaction and reliability (for what it's worth).

I am looking to somewhat future proof, so the price certainly seems ideal for the specs. However, because it's an Acer should I avoid like the plague? The only other desktop coming close in price at the moment is a Dell XPS with almost the same specs but would cost ~$160 more. Other brands and models are north of $1400 for similar specs. Is it worth the extra $160 just to buy a Dell? I understand that all brands and models have their issues and usually customers are more likely to take the time to post negative experiences than positive ones. However, I would appreciated any thoughts ad input. Thanks for your time!

Processor & Memory:

Intel® Core i7-8700 Processor 3.2GHz

16GB DDR4 (2-DIMM, Maximum 64GB) 2666MHz RAM

Drives:

1TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive + 256GB PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive

DVD Writer (Writes to DVD/CD)

Operating System:

Microsoft® Windows 10 (64 bit)

Graphics & Video:

6GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Graphics

Communications:

10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN