Desktop refuses to join 5ghz network (WIN 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmrussell

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
I have poured through forums, with absolutely zero luck anywhere. Here's the rundown.

I recently switched to a Motorola router from the Comcast rental one (yeah, I know, shouldn't have used it in the first place) anyway...

I have an older Rosewill model wifi card in my PCI express slot. The card is an AC model so it obviously works for the 5ghz network. Besides the letter coding, when I used the comcast router it had zero issue. It would pick up the full 150 speed at times, but never got under 80.

However, now it only connects to the 2.4GHZ connection, locking me to a solid 28-32mbs. Fantastic. My iPhone X and laptop though have zero issue connecting to the 5GHZ connection (I still have solid signal in my backyard, bedroom, and garage). I have checked all the settings within the router itself (a newer Motorola model) and in my settings, I've updated drivers to the latest ones, and still, nothing. It will just basically attempt to connect and then time out, over and over and over.

Is there any fix to this at all, or am I just s.o.l....because at the moment, it's looking like the latter.

Thanks

Ralston18

Titan
Have you checked that the Rosewill card is indeed fully seated and that the antenna's are all fully and firmly connected?

If available, try a antenna extender to raise the antennas up or otherwise be able to move them about some.

With respect to the Rosewill wifi card:

When you go into the wireless network configuration settings does the card present or otherwise show any 5 GHz networks at all; I.e., neighboring networks from which to choose from?

If you select and attempt to join a network do you get asked for a password? Which would indicate that your card is working with respect to 5 GHz.

[Note: Do not attempt to gain access to a secured network or join an unsecured network. The objective is to just establish if 5 GHz is functioning on your Rosewill wifi adapter.]

The general idea is to prove by elimination that the Rosewill adapter has, as you already seem to suspect, failed with respect to 5 GHz.

jmrussell

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
1. Fully seated, yes

2. used a bunch of extenstions to drape the wifi router across the house to be right by the antennas, no dice, so increasing range seems moot (connects to 2.4 ghz no prob)

3. It shows my 5ghz network

4. I get the ability to type in the network password, it's after this that the connection times out

Note: This card connected fine to the Comcast router which was 5ghz as well, no issue. Like I stated in the original post.

jmrussell

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
Correct. No matter what I've tried it just goes to "cannot connect to network," although every single other device in the house can.

Is there any reason the computer would not send?

Trust me, I'm just as much at a loss as you are on this issue. Nothing shows that the 5ghz band should not work, yet it refuses to join it.

Ralston18

Titan
You may be able to check your computer by buying or borrowing a USB wireless adapter with 5 GHz capability.

Install and configure. Test.

If the USB adapter works at 5 GHz then the computer is eliminated and the existing Roswell card even more suspect.

However, using USB does not eliminate a possible problem with the PCIe slot being used. You would need to try another wireless adapter in the PCIe slot or move the Roswell wifi adapter to another computer for additional testing.

rjsq1989

Reputable
Jul 28, 2016

A few more things to try:

■ Try to restart the WiFi router if you haven't do it recently.
    ■ Try to change the 5G signal channel, set it to another value other than default.
    ■ Try to change the SSID of WiFi.

jmrussell

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
Thanks Sprinter, but I already did all of the normal types of fixes for this with no help. I just changed the slot of the wireless card too. Instant connect to 2.4ghz (asks for password as soon as I click it) and delayed password request on the 5g with just a time out after a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.