desktop shortcuts/Outlook email links, don't work; XP says..

My system runs XP Professional WITH SP1, but NOT SP2 updates. My browser is
IE 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp1.020828.

Problem: when I click on a desktop shortcut, Windows gives me an error
message that says it Can't Find the url, and then a blank IE window opens
with the address box blank, as well.

The first remedy I tried was running the command, sfc/scannow, which then
asks for my XP Prof install disk and hunts for missing/corrupt files (I got
this advice from
www.homecomputerrepaironline.com/geektips/index.cfm?id=66&geek_cat=3). This
didn't fix the problem.

Next I tried a similar fix of IE by running the command: rundll32.exe
setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\Inf\ie.inf (I got
this advice from http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_ie_reinstall.htm). This
also did not repair the problem.

Next I did a reinstall of the IE 6.0 SP1 program, hoping this would correct
things. This didn't work, either.

As a last resort, and I don't know if this is related or not, but in the
Start Menu when I click on Help & Support, nothing happens, no window opens
and I'm not given that page where I can choose from all sorts of Windows
internal help options.

My idea was to do a restore back to 3 days prior when links and shortcuts
were working fine. I finally went to Start Menu/Programs/Accessories/System
Tools to get the Restore function and then did a restore to 3 days back, 1
week back and 2 weeks back. Each time the system took about 20-30 minutes to
perform the restore function, and each time it finished by telling me that it
had made NO CHANGES to the system. Why is that????

In any case, I still have my original problem, the desktop shortcuts don't
work. Nor do any of the links in emails in Outlook.

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I'm just a wee bit
frustrated! I'm not a total newbie, and I did what things I imagined and/or
was told would help, and I'm still with the same problem.

Thank you.

map

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm

--
Mike Pawlak

Dear Mike,
I was SOOO hopeful this nifty IE fix you sent, would work. But, it did not.
I still get the error message of Cannot Find www.... when I click a desktop
shortcut, but now, instead of a blank IE page popping up, I get my home page
of Google come up.

After finding the IEFix to not have worked, I redid that scan for XP
(sfc/scannow) and also did a rescan of the IE repair command. With each step
I also rebooted just be sure it all took. But I'm in the same problem I
started out with.

On a side note, when I copy a shortcut url and plug it into my taskbar
google window on the bottom of my desktop (same line as the Start button),
the Google doesn't work now, either. I paste the url into the little window
and prior to the iefix.exe, I could click on the icon and this managed to get
me into IE and the page I was wanting to go to. Now it doesn't work. The url
gets pasted, but the icon to make it go to the webpage, does nothing.

Yikes, what do I do NOW???

"MAP" wrote:

> Ms Max wrote:
> > My system runs XP Professional WITH SP1, but NOT SP2 updates. My
> > browser is IE 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp1.020828.
> >
> > Problem: when I click on a desktop shortcut, Windows gives me an error
> > message that says it Can't Find the url, and then a blank IE window
> > opens with the address box blank, as well.
> >
> > The first remedy I tried was running the command, sfc/scannow, which
> > then asks for my XP Prof install disk and hunts for missing/corrupt
> > files (I got this advice from
> > www.homecomputerrepaironline.com/geektips/index.cfm?id=66&geek_cat=3).
> > This didn't fix the problem.
> >
> > Next I tried a similar fix of IE by running the command: rundll32.exe
> > setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\Inf\ie.inf (I
> > got this advice from
> > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_ie_reinstall.htm). This also did
> > not repair the problem.
> >
> > Next I did a reinstall of the IE 6.0 SP1 program, hoping this would
> > correct things. This didn't work, either.
> >
> > As a last resort, and I don't know if this is related or not, but in
> > the Start Menu when I click on Help & Support, nothing happens, no
> > window opens and I'm not given that page where I can choose from all
> > sorts of Windows internal help options.
> >
> > My idea was to do a restore back to 3 days prior when links and
> > shortcuts were working fine. I finally went to Start
> > Menu/Programs/Accessories/System Tools to get the Restore function
> > and then did a restore to 3 days back, 1 week back and 2 weeks back.
> > Each time the system took about 20-30 minutes to perform the restore
> > function, and each time it finished by telling me that it had made NO
> > CHANGES to the system. Why is that????
> >
> > In any case, I still have my original problem, the desktop shortcuts
> > don't work. Nor do any of the links in emails in Outlook.
> >
> > Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I'm just a wee
> > bit frustrated! I'm not a total newbie, and I did what things I
> > imagined and/or was told would help, and I'm still with the same
> > problem.
> >
> > Thank you.
>

> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm
>
> --
> Mike Pawlak

Hi Ms Max,

To set Internet Explorer as the default (this repairs the file association
settings as well), try this:

For XP SP1 and above:

From Control Panel, open Add/Remove Programs applet, and choose Set Program
Access and Defaults button. Click the Custom button once. From the list that
appears, select Internet Explorer and then click the OK button.

For Windows XP with or without an SP, you may try this REG file:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/reg/IE_Default_Browser.reg

NOTE: The Programs Files path is set for C:\, in the REG file. If you have
Windows installed in a different drive, alter the drive-letter and Path in
the REG file, using a text editor like Notepad.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Ms Max" <MsMax@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> > window opens and I'm not given that page where I can choose from all
>> > sorts of Windows internal help options.
>> >
>> > My idea was to do a restore back to 3 days prior when links and
>> > shortcuts were working fine. I finally went to Start
>> > Menu/Programs/Accessories/System Tools to get the Restore function
>> > and then did a restore to 3 days back, 1 week back and 2 weeks back.
>> > Each time the system took about 20-30 minutes to perform the restore
>> > function, and each time it finished by telling me that it had made NO
>> > CHANGES to the system. Why is that????
>> >
>> > In any case, I still have my original problem, the desktop shortcuts
>> > don't work. Nor do any of the links in emails in Outlook.
>> >
>> > Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I'm just a wee
>> > bit frustrated! I'm not a total newbie, and I did what things I
>> > imagined and/or was told would help, and I'm still with the same

Ramesh! You're WONDERFUL; this makes 2 for 2 for you as far as
my needing help goes.

The directions for going to Control Panel-Add/Remove-Set Program Access &
Defaults-Custom, worked like a charm. All the links work again.

On an aside, my Start Menu item, Help & Support still doesn't work.
I wasn't sure if this problem was related to the shortcuts not working,
and now that they DO work, again, I immediately went to try the Start Menu
item, Help and Support, to see if it magically functioned again. But, it still
does not. The XP Window in blue that opened with all kinds of options
for help does not materialize; nothing happens at all when I click on Help
and Support. I rarely use this function, so I can manage around it
when I need help, but since you've been such a wiz-kid of magic help
every time you've answered one of my questions, I figured it couldn't
hurt to ask.

p.s. (is there some way I can Thank you, personally, for all your help
to me thus far? One thing I do relatively well, is make icons. Could I
create a
personal icon for you? If not, do please know I am very, very appreciative
of all your help, in any case!!!!)

With all my thanks!
Ms. Max

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Ms Max,
>
> To set Internet Explorer as the default (this repairs the file association
> settings as well), try this:
>
> For XP SP1 and above:
>
> From Control Panel, open Add/Remove Programs applet, and choose Set Program
> Access and Defaults button. Click the Custom button once. From the list that
> appears, select Internet Explorer and then click the OK button.
>
> For Windows XP with or without an SP, you may try this REG file:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/reg/IE_Default_Browser.reg
>
> NOTE: The Programs Files path is set for C:\, in the REG file. If you have
> Windows installed in a different drive, alter the drive-letter and Path in
> the REG file, using a text editor like Notepad.
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>

> "Ms Max" <MsMax@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Dear Mike,
> > I was SOOO hopeful this nifty IE fix you sent, would work. But, it did
> > not.
> > I still get the error message of Cannot Find www.... when I click a
> > desktop
> > shortcut, but now, instead of a blank IE page popping up, I get my home
> > page
> > of Google come up.
> >
> > After finding the IEFix to not have worked, I redid that scan for XP
> > (sfc/scannow) and also did a rescan of the IE repair command. With each
> > step
> > I also rebooted just be sure it all took. But I'm in the same problem I
> > started out with.
> >

> > On a side note, when I copy a shortcut url and plug it into my taskbar
> > google window on the bottom of my desktop (same line as the Start button),
> > the Google doesn't work now, either. I paste the url into the little
> > window
> > and prior to the iefix.exe, I could click on the icon and this managed to
> > get
> > me into IE and the page I was wanting to go to. Now it doesn't work. The
> > url
> > gets pasted, but the icon to make it go to the webpage, does nothing.
> >
> > Yikes, what do I do NOW???

> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mike Pawlak

Ms Max,

Nice to hear that the URL shortcuts issue is fixed. For the Help and Support
issue, here is a couple of options starting with a DLL registration.
(Proceed to next method if one fails to resolve the problem):

Type in Start, Run dialog:

helpctr -regserver
regsvr32 itss
regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx
regsvr32 jscript

Fix Windows XP Help - from Doug's site:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/fix_windows_xp_help.htm

In _nothing_ helps, try reinstalling HelpCenter:

Open %systemroot%\inf folder and locate the PCHealth.inf file (might show as
PCHealth in W.Explorer). Right-click the file and choose "Install". Insert
your XP CD when prompted. If you have a Service Pack installed, be sure to
point to the %Windir%\i386\ServicePackFiles folder, or your slipstreamed XP
CD (if available).

There is also another comprehensive rebuild method for Help and Support, but
I don't think that's required.

>> Could I create a personal icon for you?

That would really be cool :) Thanks! BTW, do you run a website?

--

> [...]
>> > (sfc/scannow) and also did a rescan of the IE repair command. With each
>> > step
>> > I also rebooted just be sure it all took. But I'm in the same problem I
>> > started out with.
>> >

>> > On a side note, when I copy a shortcut url and plug it into my taskbar
>> > google window on the bottom of my desktop (same line as the Start
>> > button),
>> > the Google doesn't work now, either. I paste the url into the little
>> > window
>> > and prior to the iefix.exe, I could click on the icon and this managed
>> > get
>> > me into IE and the page I was wanting to go to. Now it doesn't work.
>> > The
>> > url
>> > gets pasted, but the icon to make it go to the webpage, does nothing.

The information I received in an email today, also, came from
By: Mark L. Ferguson In: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support

And he wrote: Go to Start/Run, and type: REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL Then open IE,
Tools menu, Options, Program Tab, and click the "Reset Web Settings"
button.

I just wanted to give him credit, and let you know, in case you know each
other.

Ms. Max