Desktop shut down, wont turn back on. Very important computer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fredrik_7

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
Hello, I am writing a bachelors degree at the moment and i do have backups but i dont have a second computer etc, so its not the dream situation.

The problem is, it did smell funny, like dust burning, i checked cpu and gpu temps, normal around 35C, and they were totally normal, i remove dust like once every 2 months or something. Suddenly it just dies, and i cant turn it back on, i THINK its the PSU although it could be the mobo i guess? There is a green light on the mobo, but i guess it could still be the psu? I tried jumpstarting the mobo with only cpu and ram connected, that didnt work.

Solution

Now here i tell you a step by step guide
1> use a ubuntu live disc to boot in linux environment, and use a extra hdd or usb pendrive to get a backup of your valuable data, this way you can save all your data entire (Disk 0) active hdd's data.

2> try to repair your windows. then goto event viewer of your system.
just right click on my computer ( xp to win7 users ) this pc ( win 8 to win 10 users), then click manage.
in manager, under system tools menu, choose event viewer sub menu, then choose windows log sub-sub menu.

Here is, mainly two way to find out what made system failure, one is...

Fredrik_7

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\WINDOWS
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

On Thu 01/02/2018 23:19:18 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: cmusbdac.sys (0xFFFFF80B8C187047)
Bugcheck code: 0x7E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80B8C187047, 0xFFFF8008E3E1B028, 0xFFFF8008E3E1A870)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\cmusbdac.sys
product: C-MEDIA CMUSBDAC Audio
company: C-MEDIA
description: C-MEDIA CMUSBDAC Audio Driver
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: cmusbdac.sys (C-MEDIA CMUSBDAC Audio Driver, C-MEDIA).
Google query: cmusbdac.sys C-MEDIA SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

On Wed 31/01/2018 19:18:46 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\013118-8703-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: cmusbdac.sys (0xFFFFF80C80B87047)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80C80B87047, 0xFFFFAA8332141028, 0xFFFFAA8332140870)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\cmusbdac.sys
product: C-MEDIA CMUSBDAC Audio
company: C-MEDIA
description: C-MEDIA CMUSBDAC Audio Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: cmusbdac.sys (C-MEDIA CMUSBDAC Audio Driver, C-MEDIA).
Google query: cmusbdac.sys C-MEDIA SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

syscare

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018

hello Fredrik,
can you please tell me is your system in running condition means, windows working or windowds working but giving some memory dump error.
show me the error image if any i can say the solution for it.

thanks

syscare

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018

Now here i tell you a step by step guide
1> use a ubuntu live disc to boot in linux environment, and use a extra hdd or usb pendrive to get a backup of your valuable data, this way you can save all your data entire (Disk 0) active hdd's data.

2> try to repair your windows. then goto event viewer of your system.
just right click on my computer ( xp to win7 users ) this pc ( win 8 to win 10 users), then click manage.
in manager, under system tools menu, choose event viewer sub menu, then choose windows log sub-sub menu.

Here is, mainly two way to find out what made system failure, one is Application and second one is system.
find out log with issues in yellow sine and red sign.

you can do it before system repair also.

after that
If find some thing wrong with your drivers, just uninstall them and clear registry.
then check two days for any issues found or not. if not then freshly download them all and install them.

If find some thing wrong with your system.
If find some thing wrong with your applications

rply me

Solution