Desktop speakers or headphones?

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
So I just moved my pc out of the basement to an office on the main floor. This means I'm no longer connected to my home theater speakers. As a result, I have little satelite speakers that were about $15 and some decent sounding, but off brand and wearing out with feedback headphones. Both are bad options.

So...

I'm looking at a set of audioengine a2+'s and a set of 2019 Arctis 7's. Both seem like good options, but I definitely can't afford both right now. Opinions on which way to go since I have to choose one? I'm sure I'd be happy with the desktops, but I'm also wondering if I have a lighter, cordless, higher quality headphone, would I want to use desktops?

Thanks for any opinions.

Solution
One cup on/one off tells me you would be happier with some speakers.
And... 2.1 with a subwoofer is more immersive.

If you want headphones, also buy a pair of echo dots and use then as a intercom and a visual alert.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Not worried about disturbing others with the new location.
Not worried about any outside noise.

Maybe my next question is, how good are a good set of headphones like the arctis 7's? My understanding is they are light and comfortable and the fact that they are wireless is fantastic. Are they comfortable enough that I can use them all of the time for gaming? Am I going to wish I had speakers for gaming at all if I have a nice set of headphones? I plan to stick to 2.0 with the speakers. No desire for a sub or anything like that. It won't be for watching movies (maybe netflix by myself, no using it to watch something with the family etc.). One thing I have noticed with headphones is that I'm often using them with one cup on and one cup off because one of my kids or my wife etc. yells for me to let the dogs out or help with homework etc. Obviously this isn't all of the time, but that's one scenario where I'm worried I'm going to wish I still have desktops I could use so that I could have good sound and still hear if I'm needed...