Question Desktop suddenly shutting down/powering off constantly

michaeld_83

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Seasons greeting,

My computer has been running fine and all of the components are relatively new, however suddenly yesterday windows 10 started shutting down and restarting a minute or two after logging on. I updated some drivers and ran a boot scan but it powered off about 20 minutes into the boot scan and when I got into the bios screen it even powered down after a couple of minutes in there. While I was in the bios I could see that the temperature was ok, even when I managed to log on I could also see core temp that the cpu temperature, while high for normal internet use was still well under trouble territory.

What is happening now is I can log on and use my computer for about a minute or two (using MSI afterburner to monitor hardware seemed to make it instant shut down while coretemp and cpuz did not, that may not be pertinent but thought I would mention it) and then the computer shuts down and tries to restart. When the computer tries to restart it will fail 3 or 4 times (usually the MSI bios screen does not even come up but sometimes it will but won't make it to the windows login screen). However after a few attempts it will make it to the windows screen and allow me to log on for a couple of minutes before it does it again.

I updated my graphics driver and did a small windows update after this first started happening but it didn't help. I did a superanti malware bytes sweep too (at the start I had a bit more time before restarting) and the avast boot scan got 56% through before powering down and scanned most of C drive with no issues.

Later on I am going to open up the desktop to see the post lights on start up.

Does anyone have any insights on what could be happening or advice on how to troubleshoot?

Could it possibly be an issue with the power button on my desktop sending the signal to restart/power off?

Specs: MSI B450 Tomahawk Motherboard, Ryzen 3600, 16GB Corsair Ram 3200mhz, RX580 graphics card. Windows 10 running off SSD with another SSD and HDD attached.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Will the system boot into Safe Mode and remain stable?

If possible, on the next successful boot look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and even informational events.

Especially those that started "yesterday". Reliability History uses a timeline format so what I would expect to see are quite a number of red and yellow icons starting that day,

What error codes do you see?

michaeld_83

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Thanks Ralston,

EVGA semi modular 650w, about 9 months old (roughly), should be more than enough for my setup.

I have had the desktop turned off at the mains since yesterday. When I tried to load up it would not respond at all when I pressed the power button (keyboard underlights were on so I knew the power was active). However on the 4th try it turned on and loaded as normal.

I am looking at the reliability history and there are only 2 critical events which was 'windows not shut down properly' at 21:57 (when I gave up and switched off) and a toolkit stopping working but that is for using ds3 controller on a pc so not relevant and also at 21:57. All these shut downs and restarts happened between 7pm and 9pm and there is nothing critical for those times.

In informational events there are 12. 11 of them are from my graphics card driver update at 19:57 and 1 is from the .net framework update I installed at 8:36. No other reports.

As of now I have been on for 40 minutes (not using it, just on desktop screen) and no shutdown. Idle temps fluctuating between 41 degrees and 58 degrees on cpu, Strange that it did not work initially and I am not expecting it to hold but will do some of my normal stuff now to see what happens.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS