[SOLVED] Desktop Switches Off After a Few Minutes Even Before Booting (Upgraded System)

Jun 15, 2019
Motherboard: Intel H61 Acer Aspire M3920 (7 years)
CPU: Intel Core i5 2300 ( 7 years )
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Turbo Red (5 months)
CPU Thermal Paste: Cooler Master MasterGel Pro (5 months)
Graphics Card: Zotac GTX 1060 ( about 1 year)
HDD 1 System: WD Blue 1TB (2 years)
HDD 2: Hitachi 250GB
Operating system: Windows 10
RAM: 2x 4GB Kingston 1333Mhz ( 3 years)
PSU: 700W Silverstone Strider Essential 80plus Bronze ST70F-ESB (less than 1 year)

So basically the PC is roughly about 7 years old and I've changed a lot of parts except for the motherboard and CPU. However, recently my PC has been randomly shutting off at unexpected times even when just idling. Now the PC switches off before booting and even while on the bios screen. I believe that the PSU might be to blame because there were some buzzing sounds from it which I'm not too sure if its normal or not. I need some advice on how to isolate the issue but I don't have another PC to test with so I'd appreciate some ideas which don't require another PC to test with. Thanks.

Solution
Buzzings sounds is not normal and it sounds like the psu is shorting out. Try reconnecting all the cable in the computer the 24pin, 4pin all that. If that doesnt work then you are in need of a psu. For this build a decent 500W PSU will work. Go for PSU from Corsair ( avoid the VS series), Seasonics or EVGA

thomas123321

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2013
Buzzings sounds is not normal and it sounds like the psu is shorting out. Try reconnecting all the cable in the computer the 24pin, 4pin all that. If that doesnt work then you are in need of a psu. For this build a decent 500W PSU will work. Go for PSU from Corsair ( avoid the VS series), Seasonics or EVGA

Solution
Jun 15, 2019
Alright I tried reconnecting it still had the same issue, so I think I'll try to claim the warranty first for the PSU since I paid quite a sum for it because I believe there is a 3-year warranty and I'll let you know how it goes.

Jun 15, 2019
Alright, Silverstone got back to me after like 3 months apparently the PSU was faulty and short circuited the motherboard as well unfortunately. Silverstone gave me a brand new PSU however I had to buy a new H61 motherboard. Never going to buy or recommend any products from Silverstone ever again.