Question Desktop to passive speakers?

Apr 21, 2020
I have an old powered JBL subwoofer and a pair of passive JBL tower speakers collecting dust in the basement. My 15-year-old PC speakers are on the fritz and before I go out and buy new speakers I was wondering if it were possible to leverage my old sub and speakers as a replacement. My PC has a 3.5mm C/SUB out (as well as front and rear) jacks. My subwoofer has an integrated amp with audio in and out connectors that have banana/bare interfaces.

The idea is to utilize the subwoofers amp to drive the speakers by connecting the C/SUB out on the computer to the subwoofer and then getting a 3.5mm to RCA Y cable adapter and connecting that from the PC to the left and right audio input on the subwoofer, then plug the speakers into the audio out from the sub-woofer. It seems like this should work, but I can't find any RCA to banana cable cords, is there such a thing? I guess it would be even more convenient if I could get a 3.5mm to banana cable cord, but I can't find any of those either. Should I just forget about this idea and buy new PC speakers? I loved my old JBL's but the wife doesn't like the look of the towers, so we had in-wall and in-ceiling speakers installed that replaced my perfectly great JBL's. Now that I am WFH until who-knows-when, I would like to resurrect them.

Pictures of my subwoofers backside and my PC's audio jacks are included.

Subwoofer (mine is in much better condition but same model)

Thank you.

Burke_a_lot

Great
May 25, 2020
It is possible, but the sound won't be good. I have tried this but getting the output frequencies right was difficult and didn't get any good results.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS