Question Desktop : unavailable moved or deleted

Jul 10, 2024
I recently (yesterday with help from Tom's hardware) clone my C drive to a larger drive. However, I was having the Desktop unavailable ...moved/deleted message before I started the data migration. I also can't pin anything to the Taskbar or desktop. I've tried a few things via the Microsoft forum but nothing works. The only icon on my desktop is This PC and Recycle Bin. Otherwise, blank.
The error message says the Desktop was in my E drive, but I no longer have an E drive, I only have a C & D.
Any help in directing me to a solution is much appreciated. Thanks.

Jul 10, 2024
Show us a screencap of the Properties dialog, with the Location tab selected.
My mistake. I don't have a Location tab. What I did was Restore Defaults of the Picture. Here is the screenshot. Link Curiously the drive location is shown as F:. I never had an F: drive.

USAFRet

Titan
My mistake. I don't have a Location tab. What I did was Restore Defaults of the Picture. Here is the screenshot. Link Curiously the drive location is shown as F:. I never had an F: drive.
That is showing a regular 'folder' icon.

Where are the other default Libraries, like Documents, Pictures, Videos?

At some point in the past, did you do any redirect for those, or use any 3rd party customization tool?

Jul 10, 2024

That is showing a regular 'folder' icon.

Where are the other default Libraries, like Documents, Pictures, Videos?

At some point in the past, did you do any redirect for those, or use any 3rd party customization tool?
I can see the default libraries (Docs, pics, etc) when I try to save a file and it's asking for a location. I can't think of any customization I did. When I started the new drive/clone process I didn't want anything changed other than that work in progress.

USAFRet

Titan
I can see the default libraries (Docs, pics, etc) when I try to save a file and it's asking for a location. I can't think of any customization I did. When I started the new drive/clone process I didn't want anything changed other than that work in progress.
Can see them where?

Also, a screencap of the Disk Management window, as it is now.

Below Downloads there's drive E: listed.
That is your desktop.
Right-click on E:\ and choose Properties/Location.

0auJj5q.jpeg

USAFRet

Titan
Could not save to desktop, see here
Very borked up config.

Desktop seemingly lives on a non-existent E, Pictures seemingly live on the D....

This can only be a result of some previous meddling where things go. Possibly in attempt to conserve space on the original 240GB drive.

I do not know any easy way to "fix" this, and have the default Libraries be in their default places.

Jul 10, 2024
Very borked up config.

Desktop seemingly lives on a non-existent E, Pictures seemingly live on the D....

This can only be a result of some previous meddling where things go. Possibly in attempt to conserve space on the original 240GB drive.

I do not know any easy way to "fix" this, and have the default Libraries be in their default places.
Is there a non-easy way?

USAFRet

Titan
How would I go about that? The OS did not come with any disks, etc.

TRENDING THREADS