Desktop using 80-98% memory on startup.

Mechman330

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016
Hello, my desktop computer that I built has been running into issues lately. I start up the computer and most of the time its okay, but lately its been using almost all of the 16 GB of ram that it has, doing nothing. The highest process I see when in task manager is only using maybe 250 MB and there are roughly 40-50 processes running, but using substantially less memory. I have ran several different types of antivirus and nothing is coming up with anything. This issue has been causing all of my programs to run very slowly and sometimes freeze up and not run at all.

My Specs are:
MSI 970 Gaming motherboard
Amd Fx 8350 processor
Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 superclocked 2mb ram graphics card
16 GB Corsair Vengeance Memory
Corsair Cx 750 power supply (750 watts)
1TB HDD
256GB samsung SSD <-(Windows 10 OS installed)

Hi,

This seems to be part of Windows 10 glitch. Here are some troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Start by running Windows Update, install all updates available.
- Next is to run a complete virus/malware scan. Please use the link below for the tools and guide you can use.
- http://www.tomsguide.com/faq/id-1691891/removing-malware-proven-completely-remove-bitcoin-mining-malware.html
- Do also uninstall software that you don't use or those that you're not familiar with.
- Install the latest drivers and firmware specially BIOS update that may help in solving the issue.
- If all these will not work it would be best to do a clean install of Windows 10.

Mechman330

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016

Thanks for the response, I was able to solve it by disabling some startup programs. I'm guessing it was a memory leak there somewhere, but I have no idea why it would suck up 16GB of ram with a startup program.