[SOLVED] Desktop w/wired connection...connect via wifi too?

coyote2

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
My new desktop PC will be right next to my AX router, connected via ethernet. Should I even bother to enable my new mobo's AX and attach it's wifi antennae?

Solution
Thank you very much for your reply, USAFRet!

What if I saturated my wired connection (I do have Gigabit fibre and might also be transferring files across my LAN)...would Windows use the wifi like a second 'lane' of extra bandwidth?

I guess there might also be value in other wireless devices skipping my router and connecting direct to the PC, but that doesn't interest me.

"would Windows use the wifi like a second 'lane' of extra bandwidth?"

No, it doesn't work like that.
Just leave the WiFi OFF on your desktop. You can't pair the two connections to the router.

coyote2

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009

What if I saturated my wired connection (I do have Gigabit fibre and might also be transferring files across my LAN)...would Windows use the wifi like a second 'lane' of extra bandwidth?

I guess there might also be value in other wireless devices skipping my router and connecting direct to the PC, but that doesn't interest me.

USAFRet

Titan

"would Windows use the wifi like a second 'lane' of extra bandwidth?"

No, it doesn't work like that.
Just leave the WiFi OFF on your desktop. You can't pair the two connections to the router.

Solution