Desktop Wallpapers Changing at Wrong Time

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gryz

Reputable
Jul 17, 2014
I have selected to change my desktop backgrounds located in my Pictures Library to "shuffle" every 10 minutes. 10 minutes passes and it changes, but then again, in about a minute or so, it will change again.

In addition, sometimes when I insert a USB drive, or even close out of a full screen application, I will be left with a dotted matrix instead of a wallpaper. I right click and choose "next background" and that resolves it.

Any ideas?

Solution
Don't forget to change it to PEG when you get the replacement card. It's completely possible there was a problem with the card though, but it might have somehow had to do with the setting as well. Either way, at least you'll be fairly sure if the problem reappears that it's not due to the card itself.
Do me a favor and post your entire system specs here. All hardware and Windows version info. I just don't have time to wait for a reply every time my dumb ass needs to know something more. You can do a hwinfo or cpu-z screenshot or just type it. Whatever works. I'm guessing you're running 64 bit Windows 8.1, right? IF so, here's the latest driver. Go ahead and download and install it and then reboot to see if the problem is still there.

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/340.52/340.52-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-english-whql.exe

Gryz

Reputable
Jul 17, 2014
zXydND4.jpg

and:

GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 AM3+ AMD 760G + SB710 HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Rosewill Stallion Series RD500-2DB 500W ATX12V Power Supply
Crucial MX100 CT256MX100SSD1 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Gryz

Reputable
Jul 17, 2014
OK, so here is the new problem:

Turned on the PC today and could post, but not boot into windows. I was stuck at the "verifying DMI pool" screen. Reset CMOS, nothing.
Tried using a DVI cable, nothing.
Then I removed my graphics card and tried to boot from my motherboard HDMI and that worked. It also worked from my motherboard DVI.
I am currently running fine with the GPU removed and using the onboard DVI to my TV.

This leads me to think my GPU is bad. HOWEVER, I still have the background glitch even with the GPU removed completely. So the glitch cannot be related to my GPU I don't think.

Do you think I have a bad GPU? I do not have another to test it with. Could it be my motherboard instead?

Try a different monitor and see if you still have the background mosaic. You might also double check the frequency of you monitor models specs against what it's actually set at in display properties to make sure you don't have a (For example) 60hz monitor set to 75hz or visa versa or something along those lines.

Gryz

Reputable
Jul 17, 2014
I tried a more powerful PSU, didn't work. So I bought a cheap GT610 graphics card and it works fine. I will be returning my GTX750ti since it has a 3yr warrantee. So far I have not experienced the glitch with the cheap card. I am also running second newest driver, not the newest one. I think that may have been part of it.

Huh. That doesn't really explain why it was happening with the onboard graphics though. I'm just wondering about that, being the wondering kind of guy I am. I guess it may have been some kind of conflict between the AMD drivers for your motherboards onboard adapter and the NVidia drivers for the card.

Gryz

Reputable
Jul 17, 2014
When my new graphics card comes, should I disable to onboard graphics? I don't have this option in my BIOS, but I believe I can do it in Device Manager.

In you BIOS under Advanced BIOS features or Integrated peripherals, there is a setting called Init display first, once you install a card set this to PEG so it will use the PCI express X16 slot as primary display and not PCI or onchipVGA (Integrated). In fact, you might want to put the card back in, change that setting and try it again. If not, then do so when you get your other card.

It's in Advanced Bios options, or, it should be per the manual. Click on the little box with the arrows in the lower right hand corner to expand the image. You will see on the left hand side the description of your motherboard and then the image of the BIOS section you should be able to find it in is the main image.

2mg5vtl.png

Gryz

Reputable
Jul 17, 2014
You are right, it is there. I just did not realize I had to scroll down.
I currently have no video card in, as I returned my test one and sent back my GTX750 as it has a warrantee. What should it be set to until my new card comes? As of now, it is set to PCI slot, although I am using a DVI cable to my motherboard, so the VGA option?

Don't forget to change it to PEG when you get the replacement card. It's completely possible there was a problem with the card though, but it might have somehow had to do with the setting as well. Either way, at least you'll be fairly sure if the problem reappears that it's not due to the card itself.

Solution

Gryz

Reputable
Jul 17, 2014
Seems it was a bad video card. Just got the replacement one the other day. No issues at all. Set it as default in bios, games run great, no desktop background glitches.
Thank you for all your help with the issues I was having!