Desktop WiFi Endless Loop of Disconnection Every Few Seconds, "Identifying"

Daniel-_-

Dec 26, 2010
Hey guys,

I apologize if this case has already been resolved here before, I've spent a couple days trying to find a fix. My desktop computer is running Win7 x64. I have two network adapters on it, but I keep one disabled unless I need to test my connection. The network card I do use is a Manhattan 150N Wireless PCI card, I am fairly certain the model number is 525473.

At first I thought it was a misconfiguration with our new one. We had been hit by lightning recently so I went and purchased a new router. I made ping tests on my desktop that came out to be on average a 25% packet loss. I did a ping test on our office desktop (wired directly to router via Ethernet) and saw there was a 0% loss. I then went to my laptop and did the same thing (Wireless, like my personal desktop) and also came out to a 0% loss.

I have tried going to Device Manager and uninstalling the driver responsible for the network card then reinstalling. I have also tried Network tests to see if there is any misconfiguration there. It found no problems on the network. It has to be a misconfig on my desktop causing this issue. I tested the connection with the second adapter (An Edimax USB adapter) and it was having the same problem.

I appreciate any responses I receive. I can provide more information if needed. Also, if this identical problem has been resolved by someone else, please send a link to that topic my way. :)

Edit: Here is a screenshot of the ping test. Image doesn't seem to be imbedding so here's the link.

Solution

Just remember alot of the issues today are caused by Malware not Viruses. So they are not 'damaging' the system but providing the same data flow commands as normal applications and thus not detected. Make sure...
I think the important question (since you changed routers) is, did you take the laptop place it right where the problem desktop is (literally sit it on the case) and do the same ping tests on both the laptop AND desktop at the same time ? Do you still get DIFFERENT results?

Second test would be to relocate the 'bad' desktop to the office desktop location and 'swapping cables' to see how it does there, does anything 'change' or is it consistent.

If still the issue persists, then no matter what hardware you add to it "I tested the connection with the second adapter (An Edimax USB adapter) " will NOT resolve the issue. It would then either be the hardware of the bad PC " We had been hit by lightning recently " like the RAM, CPU, Motherboard or HDD, or more likely a software issue as your directing.

The MAIN way to prove either 'other' hardware or software is the issue, take a spare hard drive and unplug the 'bad' PC harddrive. Do a CLEAN INSTALL of Windows onto the spare drive. Now try the built in Wireless, the add on wireless, etc. and see if on a CLEAN build do you have issues? If YES, then you narrowed it down to the other parts.

If NO, then the 'Bad' PC HDD or the software (windows) needs to be replaced. I would then suggest doing a clean wipe of the spare HDD, then copy and paste your data (music, pics, documents -NOT PROGRAMS!-) to the spare HDD, then clean wipe and do a clean install on the 'Bad' PC HDD. IF during the wipe or reinstall it has issues then you know the HDD had failed too.

Daniel-_-

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for your reply. I tested out your first thought. I sat my laptop on top of my desktop tower, and the connection was fine; 0% packet loss. So it shouldn't be interference or something.

Tomorrow I'll test out your second thought and try relocating it by the office desktop and connect it to the router. I'll try out the rest after when I have a chance. I might also leave a full anti virus scan run when I'm going to bed, see if it finds anything that could be messing with my desktop wifi connection.

Thanks,
Daniel

Daniel-_-

Dec 26, 2010
My fix:

Command Prompt, commands "ipconfig /release" then "ipconfig /renew".

What is odd though is I had attempted this a couple days ago but with the connection bouncing back and forth from connecting and disconnecting, this command couldn't finish so it'd get cancelled.

I booted the PC up earlier and found it was no longer disconnecting and reconnecting, but rather sitting offline with the yellow triangle with exclamation warning. I didn't decide to inspect that before trying the ipconfig commands again.

Anyway, case closed for now.

Just remember alot of the issues today are caused by Malware not Viruses. So they are not 'damaging' the system but providing the same data flow commands as normal applications and thus not detected. Make sure you also run Malwarebytes at least monthly (manually) and manually click the CUSTOM SCAN, then select all the drives and check off ROOTKIT scanning. While takes longer, it maximizes the most likely detection of things ALL Virus scanners miss.

Solution