[SOLVED] Desktop WiFi Unusable After Move

HellboP

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
I have an old HP laptop and recently bought a new Desktop PC. I lived in an apartment above a coffee shop (on the second floor), while the router for the WiFi was downstairs. Everything worked great. I moved in with my brother for the summer, and things were fine there too. I recently moved back above the coffee shop, now on the third floor, and now my Desktop PC is getting a terrible connection while the connection on my old laptop is exactly the same.

The 'bars' show full on my Desktop, but I'm getting about 0.25mbs down and my latency is over 200ms. No hardware or software has changed on my PC. The WiFi downstairs is exactly the same as it was before. My laptop functions just fine and gets the same exact speeds and latency as it did last year when I initially moved in.

Is there a reason my Desktop is all of the sudden non functional? Are there some things on the software end that I can do to fix this?

Solution
What wireless adapter are you using on the desktop?

What frequency and channel are you using?

USB?

Is that wireless adapter plugged directly into the desktop?

Try using a USB extension cable to move the wireless adapter away from the desktop and allow you to move the wireless adapter up and about.

You may find some "sweet spot" that will restore connectivity.

However, the move from 2nd to 3rd floor (as questioned by @rgd1101) may be, my words, "a floor too far".

You might be able to make some recovery by experimenting with other channels within the current wireless frequency.

Then, failing that, try changing the frequency. And test those channels.

Ralston18

Titan
What wireless adapter are you using on the desktop?

What frequency and channel are you using?

USB?

Is that wireless adapter plugged directly into the desktop?

Try using a USB extension cable to move the wireless adapter away from the desktop and allow you to move the wireless adapter up and about.

You may find some "sweet spot" that will restore connectivity.

However, the move from 2nd to 3rd floor (as questioned by @rgd1101) may be, my words, "a floor too far".

You might be able to make some recovery by experimenting with other channels within the current wireless frequency.

Then, failing that, try changing the frequency. And test those channels.

Solution