Question Desktop Window Manager and Client Server Runtime Process destroying PC after installing 3070 Ti

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
I recently installed a new RTX 3070 Ti, and initially it was running great, but recently (I have not made any changes since) it has started to run like absolute garbage. Like, absurdly slow to the point where my PC doesn't even function. I opened task manager to find Desktop Window Manager and Client Server Runtime Process taking up 100% of my GPU bandwidth whenever I tried to do anything (opening a tab, using discord, playing a game, etc). Now, I DO have a Windows update pending (see image) but I've been hesitant to try that, as merely restarting my PC takes ~15 minutes, and going through the whole song and dance of an entire update could take multiple hours, and I'm not willing to sit through that unless I'm pretty sure it'll fix the issue.

Strangely enough, last night I was experiencing this issue, and tried to play Mordhau. Initially the performance was absolutely terrible, to the point where it looked like a slideshow. But given a few minutes, it slowly started to improve. It was a playable (not good, but playable) framerate after ~5 minutes, and was suddenly a beautiful silky smooth 80+ maybe 10-15 minutes later. I didn't experience a slow PC for the rest of the night.

However, coming back from school today, the issue has returned. I haven't made the attempt to launch any games yet, but I've been completely unable to use discord, youtube, and even opening my browser was a struggle. DWM and CSRP are still taking up 100% of my GPU bandwidth.

My computer specs are listed in my signature.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if its the hdd then it could be windows has no choice but to use bad sectors on the drive and occasionally it crashes. I would replace this as soon as possible, even if you just use another hdd, they aren't as expensive now. There is no guarantees it just won't stop.

A 1tb nvme or ssd would be about $100 or less. I would get an nvme as you will notice a massive speed difference.
Motherboard supports Gen 3 NVME, transfer speeds off an NVME compared to hdd isn't even fair. Nvme don't really help in games, they better used as boot drives as they speed up the entire PC there.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
if its the hdd then it could be windows has no choice but to use bad sectors on the drive and occasionally it crashes. I would replace this as soon as possible, even if you just use another hdd, they aren't as expensive now. There is no guarantees it just won't stop.

A 1tb nvme or ssd would be about $100 or less. I would get an nvme as you will notice a massive speed difference.
Motherboard supports Gen 3 NVME, transfer speeds off an NVME compared to hdd isn't even fair. Nvme don't really help in games, they better used as boot drives as they speed up the entire PC there.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
I'm a bit confused as to why it would only start happening once I installed my new GPU... I'd never experienced this issue at all and as soon as I've installed my new GPU it cripples my pc.

Colif

Win 11 Master
changing parts in PC can upset the balance and push parts that were working fine before over the edge.
I replaced a GTX 960 in my last PC with a GTX 980 and it caused my speakers to stop working.

did you follow my steps? did you copy the originals to desktop, not move.. copy. you should own the copies, the originals are owned by the system.

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
changing parts in PC can upset the balance and push parts that were working fine before over the edge.
I replaced a GTX 960 in my last PC with a GTX 980 and it caused my speakers to stop working.

did you follow my steps? did you copy the originals to desktop, not move.. copy. you should own the copies, the originals are owned by the system.
Yeah, I just didn't have them copied to my desktop. Here's a link that should lead to a mega drive with all 5 files, 4 from today, 1 from yesterday.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/psvwdq9x/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:031122-92593-01.dmp (Mar 11 2022 - 08:04:42)
Bugcheck:DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process running at time of crash: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 5 Hour(s), 19 Min(s), and 09 Sec(s)

File information:031122-48640-01.dmp (Mar 11 2022 - 21:38:53)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 17 Min(s), and 01 Sec(s)

File information:031022-37937-01.dmp (Mar 10 2022 - 21:08:18)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process running at time of crash: ccavsrv.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 23 Min(s), and 43 Sec(s)

File information:031122-187843-01.dmp (Mar 11 2022 - 19:59:47)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 14 Min(s), and 41 Sec(s)

File information:031122-203218-01.dmp (Mar 11 2022 - 18:31:44)
Bugcheck:VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR (119)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 10 Hour(s), 23 Min(s), and 52 Sec(s)
Comment: The overclocking driver "RTCore64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner)

When previously asked if you used DDU, you said you had updated your drivers. Did you actually use DDU? It clears old GPU drivers out, and sometimes in the process can fix issues. Then you install a different driver. (More info.)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-B450M-A/
There is a BIOS update available for your system. You are using BIOS version 2807. I recommend avoiding BETA versions. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/psvwdq9x/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:031122-92593-01.dmp (Mar 11 2022 - 08:04:42)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 5 Hour(s), 19 Min(s), and 09 Sec(s)

File information:031122-48640-01.dmp (Mar 11 2022 - 21:38:53)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 17 Min(s), and 01 Sec(s)

File information:031022-37937-01.dmp (Mar 10 2022 - 21:08:18)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process running at time of crash: ccavsrv.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 23 Min(s), and 43 Sec(s)

File information:031122-187843-01.dmp (Mar 11 2022 - 19:59:47)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 14 Min(s), and 41 Sec(s)

File information:031122-203218-01.dmp (Mar 11 2022 - 18:31:44)
Bugcheck:VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR (119)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 10 Hour(s), 23 Min(s), and 52 Sec(s)
Comment: The overclocking driver "RTCore64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner)

When previously asked if you used DDU, you said you had updated your drivers. Did you actually use DDU? It clears old GPU drivers out, and sometimes in the process can fix issues. Then you install a different driver. (More info.)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-B450M-A/
There is a BIOS update available for your system. You are using BIOS version 2807. I recommend avoiding BETA versions. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.
Yes, I followed a tutorial on how to update drivers with DDU.

I updated my BIOS probably around a year ago when I was upgrading my CPU- is my BIOS the problem?

gardenman

Splendid
is my BIOS the problem
It's always hard to tell if a BIOS update will help or not. Most of the time is doesn't. However you are on version 2807 and the latest stable version is 3211. Let's look at what has been done since 2807:
Version 3211
"1. Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.3 Patch C
2. Improve system performance"

Version 3205
Support Windows 11 by default, no settings changes required in the UEFI BIOS.

Version 3202
"1. Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.3 Patch A
2. Improve system stability"

Version 3002
"- Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.1
  • Support Smart Access Memory for Ryzen 3000 Series Processors
  • Fix the L3 cache performance in AIDA64
  • Improved system performance
  • Improved system compatibility
  • Improved memory performance"

Version 2807
This is what you are currently using.
Still, it's hard for me to recommend updating. It may help, it may not, or it has the potenial to makes things worse (rare occasion but it happens).

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, at least the other errors are more in line with I normally see with Nvidia drivers.

4 out of 5 blaming Nvidia. 5th one being video scheduler is also Nvidia

Hdd might be dying but unless the NVIDIA drivers are stored on the exact bad sectors, I think its just a coincidence.

what brand 3070 TI is it? some OEM have drivers, although still made by Nvidia, I would at least try them to see if you still BSOD.
Have you tried different drivers? older ones?

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
well, at least the other errors are more in line with I normally see with Nvidia drivers.

4 out of 5 blaming Nvidia. 5th one being video scheduler is also Nvidia

Hdd might be dying but unless the NVIDIA drivers are stored on the exact bad sectors, I think its just a coincidence.

what brand 3070 TI is it? some OEM have drivers, although still made by Nvidia, I would at least try them to see if you still BSOD.
Have you tried different drivers? older ones?
It's an Evga GeForce 3070 Ti FTW3. Yes, I've tried different version of drivers. I think the ones I'm currently using are 2-4 months old.

Additionally, so far today I've gone without issues. Ran multiple games without issues. However, that was the case last night too, until I plugged in my mouse, which triggered the issue again.

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
It's always hard to tell if a BIOS update will help or not. Most of the time is doesn't. However you are on version 2807 and the latest stable version is 3211. Let's look at what has been done since 2807:
Version 3211
"1. Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.3 Patch C
2. Improve system performance"

Version 3205
Support Windows 11 by default, no settings changes required in the UEFI BIOS.

Version 3202
"1. Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.3 Patch A
2. Improve system stability"

Version 3002
"- Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.1
  • Support Smart Access Memory for Ryzen 3000 Series Processors
  • Fix the L3 cache performance in AIDA64
  • Improved system performance
  • Improved system compatibility
  • Improved memory performance"
Version 2807
This is what you are currently using.
Still, it's hard for me to recommend updating. It may help, it may not, or it has the potenial to makes things worse (rare occasion but it happens).
I can't remember much from the last time I updated BIOS other than having the feeling of "I'm going to break something" the entire time, so I'm not going to attempt that again unless I know I have to.

Reactions: gardenman

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
You can get a good 250GB-500GB SSD for $30-$50 in the US. You don’t need to have everything on the SSD, just Windows 10. You can still have the HDD in the system as well for storage.
I'm not spending money on an SSD unless it's at least 1TB. Part of the reason I want an SSD is faster loading times in games (which I've read SSDs DO help with over HDDs), and Ark alone is 350GB.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I've heard that ssds yield much faster loading times, and considering Ark takes upwards of 12 minutes to load on heavily modded servers... that sounds quite appealing. As of the crystaldiskinfo, here are the results.
The drive moved some sectors to reserve area and this means it could read the data from those blocks. The drive might get worse or keep workig. I suggest you backup anything important and irreplacable (personal files) if you don't have a backup.

Also you can run "wmic diskdrive get status". It should return OK. If it returns 'Bad' or 'Caution' there's something wrong with the drive.

It won't hurt to open an elevated Command Prompt (run as administrator) and run the command "sfc /scannow" without quotes. Let the program run its course.

If the drive has more weak sectors it might be trying to read and move the data to other reserve sectors at startup and that might explain the longer than expected boot time.

Also if there are weak blocks/sectors it would affect how system opeates and game files load etc.

You can also check drive SMART (health) with HD Sentinel from here and HD Tune from here.